Hero pilot leaves controls to save parachutist

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by purplegunner, Dec 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Doesn't James Bond do this weekly?
  2. So he put the plane in auto pilot and went to pull the bloke back into the plane?

3. Yes, because on Sundays I never read the papers.
  4. Not sure what level of autopilot he has available to him... it would appear that since he did a dummy run and went back to re-trim etc that at best all he has is some form of stab but no holds in height / speed / heading etc... so not quite as simple... and <pedant mode on> he cut him free rather than pulling him back in <pm off>

I'm sure you might well have done as good a job or better... but many wouldn't and there was certainly potential for a shitty ending... deserved the award IMHO.
  5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Couple of bone questions;

I thought that loadies/JMs carried a knife on them incase the straps failed anyway?

If it was so amazing (and with no Autopilot it probably was quite special) why not award the Silver or Gold Medal?

Having said that the pilot hasn't been watching enough films. A quick flick of the controls to Port and the aeroplane would go into a rapid side-slip to starboard allowing Maj Greyling to flip/catapult back into the cabin. Simplez.
  6. I wouldn't have been dumb enough to get tangled in the door. Well, not yet anyway! :)

Yep, it was a brave thing he did TBH.
  7. :!: Now you've done it! I'd be carrying a fcuk off big knife from now on if I were you :D
  8. Is it normal for a Major to be a Jumpmaster? I take it 'exiting' the plane wasn't in the script.

Bet he is chuffed those on the ground noticed a man sized piece of debris preparing to start running like fcuk as a spare landing gear.
  9. WTF was he doing leaving the static lines behind the aircraft anyway...?
  10. Not particularly new news. This happened some time ago.

Major Denning is the commandant at JSPC Netheravon, he was dispatching static line students out in Bad Lippespringe and prior to him jumping he got caught on a static line that had been stowed. The pilot was fairly new and had no autopilot available. He used the aircrew knife to cut him free whilst having to keep the plane in trim. Not easy when 12 odd stone of ballast is moving from front to back!

Excellent skills by a newly valid DZ pilot.
  11. And where exactly is your Royal Humane Society Bronze medal?

*I have three. I'm a particularly non-aspirational walt.
  12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Brave my arrse!

More like "Jeez, if I've got this tw@t tangled up in the undercarriage when I land, I'm going to bend the aircraft AND I'll have to clean up. Best dump him now and hope nobody notices they're one short."

Still, deserves the award.
  13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Why bother? The major was a sooperdooperparatrooper so he would just have bounced a couple of times on landing then got up, dusted himself off and back to the Mess for tea n biccies 8)