Hero of the week - Vladimir Putin

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MrPVRd, Jul 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Who would have thought that the sinister KGB baddie from Central Casting would be Hero of the Week? His stiletto-tipped Rosa Klebb boot jabbed the shins of the Shaved Chimp and the Deranged Leader.

2. The view from both the Torygraph and the Indie is that Putin comprehensively out-manouvred both Blair and Bush. I bet they didn't enjoy being lectured about morality by Putin!

It will be interesting to see how Russia handles the up and coming energy crisis. They appear to be playing a very long game!

Politics! Don't you just love it?

3. A very canny geezer, that Putin. It's so obvious that he (correctly) thinks Bush the Bewildered is a total cretin.

The time to worry is when he decides to add the prefix "Ras" to his surname! :D :D :D

4. Ra Ra Ra Putin, Russia's leader doesn't care
    There was a cat that really was gone
    Ra Ra Ra Putin, insulter of Dubya and Blair
    It was great how he carried on
  5. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

No doubt his indoctrination in doublethink/speak served him well with what I would venture to call those who engage in singlethink, except that would give them too much credit. Socrates, Hegel and Marx would have been proud of Vlad....
  6. As would Alexander Nevskii, Ivan the terrible and Peter The Great....

The synthesis of Old and New...

7. Oчень потешный, мистер Путин!
  8. Putin is no friend to the west. He clearly is supporting the other side in the war on terror.
  9. T6 -

1. Define "the other side"

2. How is Putin supporting them?

3. is the West a friend to Russia?
  10. I quite like Putin, nobody is going to push Russia around anymore. They do things their way and thats the end of it, hardline government with Capitalism.

He does not cover himself with a cloak of PC like Blair or spout rubbish about democracy like Bush or try to be right on, seems to be a realist. I would have thought it would be in our interest to be on side with Russia, what they do about "civil rights" in their country is their business. Better to have them on side than not.

The Chinese and the rest are just on the horizon

You would not see dossers defacing the Russian equivilent of the Cenotaph on may day
  11. damned right Vonshot, I'd rather have Putin in than that old drunk fcuk wassiname - I am sure the Yanks found him amusing but they didn't have to live next door to him.
  12. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I just love the way you with a wave of your hand use the word 'West'. I was watching that Newt Gingrich last night on Aunty (I might add that Newt seems to be a very apt descriptor) and he kept using the 'we' word. Can it be mere coincedence that the word West contains the word 'we'. Personally I have more in common with a Russian than an American, especially when we get the language barrier out of the way. With so much pollution deadening our senses, we can oh so often start to believe that Americans are 'just like us'. They're so obviously not.
  13. Today I visited my father (he is a former colonel of KGB) in his modest wooden house in country-side 100 km. from Moscow. We discussed the incident mentioned in the first post on this thread.

It should be noted that my father strongly dislike mr.Putin and he is not 'a hero' for him at all. I always admired that my father is able to suppost a conversation on literally any theme, that he is able to find right words in any situation.

Today (only now 18 years after the day of his retirement) my father explained me that he had a very good practice. He had usually 16-18 agents or informers (some were paid informers) and used one or two conspirative appartments to meet with his agents. The agents were very different people and a work with them required special skills. Some were very stupid, some naively thought that they were more clever than my father. In each individual case special approach, wording had to be used.

From point of view of my father Mr.Putin intesively worked with agents and apparently there were foreigners (Germans) among them. My father noted that mr.Bush is not a very difficult subject even for mr.Putin.

I mentioned mr.Blair and said that his intellectual level is no doubt very high. Without any attempt to compare my father recalled one his agent, a true intellectual. He smiled frequently and always tried to present semitruth (thinking that he is the only source of information). But he didn't understand that the most valuable part of his reports was no that he said but that he hadn't said.

As for the question on what side you prefer to see Russia then I prefer to be on the Western side. Moreover I believe that later or sooner Russia will be a part of the West.
  14. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Sergey, surely Russia is both East and West, and this will no doubt be its strength in the future. What we need to remember is that we are effectively one land mass, connected by history as well as physically. When it comes to East and West the furthest point of the Maghrib is further west than that of Europe. Our histories are intertwined as a fine Persian rug, and tho' the US would like to cast itself in the role of Alexander, the only knots they will find are those finely tied by the passage of history. What may I ask do they with their short history propose to replace such art with...Bubblegum? Hollywood? Justin Timberlake?
  15. Dear Sergey,

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on Phoney Tony. His intellectual ability is vastly overrated (although im comparison to Bush the Bewildered, anybody comes out looking good - even our dog!). If you'd ever had the opportunity to see how Hague, the former leader of the Conservative Party, used to wipe Phoney Tony away in the House of Commons debates, I think you'd change your mind.