Herman The German and and The Junior Thievers Regt RAC

Having been brought up as an ACF lad on ghost stories (while out on the tank training area near Gallows Hill) about Herman The German, and subsequently becoming a Junior Brat RAC, I thought fellow ex JLs might find the article from today's Dorset Echo interesting.

Just in case you believed said stories, no dead german was ever found in the engine compartment or any other bits of a german tank at the museum. Herman is just a story, but hey, who cares, it was a great myth for junior brats to get their teeth into!

Just in case you believed said stories, no dead german was ever found in the engine compartment or any other bits of a german tank at the museum. Herman is just a story, but hey, who cares, it was a great myth for junior brats to get their teeth into!
Of course it's true! My nan found him while she was a cleaner at Bovy, I've still got the watch she swiped off his wrist and my brother has his iron cross, so don't you dare say it's not true.

Let me see if I've got this right.. some scrote nicked the plate and the anonymous donor bought it from him because he collected cap badges? :? Why did he hold on to it for 40 years instead of posting it back to the tank museum right away? :? Something's fishy here. ;-)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
meerkatz Military History and Militaria 4867
C The NAAFI Bar 5
B Weapons, Equipment & Rations 30