Herford Pictures

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by sprogmeister, Jan 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking for photos of any of the 3 barracks to aid me in a project. Also, any history of the 3 will be appreciated. Any help is gratefully appreciated. I know this has been researched before but I am unable to find a lot of the photos.

2. Here are some copied out of Google Earth. They might be of some use to you.

Attached Files:

3. Got this one:

Attached Files:

4. Thanks to the help so far. Has anyone got any photos of Hammersmith, Wentworth or Harewood from before 1(UK)ADSR took over?
  5. fecking ell, i can see my old house on one of them!
  6. Here is a photo in one of the ARRSE galleries. I can't take the glory for putting it on the site. As you can see hasn't changed much.
  7. Cheers GLESGA-NED, I feel like a right chump missing stuff like that. Any more are really welcome.
  8. WTF have they done to Maresfield ?? When we left the roads were straight, not that bendy shit :lol:
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Hammersmith kaserne, date not known

Attached Files:

10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Herford Erstoff kaserne

Attached Files:

11. For info, in the early 1990's the buildings shown were mostly 4 ADSR's LAD Directly ahead are the offices and B Veh Workshops, the row of garages on the right were the A Veh Workshops, Geny Bay and the lair of the Recy Mechs. The garages to the left were used by one of the Sig Sqns IIRC.

I will have to look through my pictures, but I probably have a very similar shot taken in 1992 / 93 as this must have been taken from about the same location as my room.

Somewhere, in some dark and dusty box, I have a copy of the original builders plans for the LAD buildings. I cannot remember whether there is any info on them that might help date the photo.

During 1992 the unit decided to build a POL point in the courtyard shown in your picture. During the excavation phase, an excited VM ran into the workshops telling everyone that the builders had found a buried tank !

Naturally, everyone immediately thought of the persistent rumours of panzers being hidden at the end of the war, and an enormous crowd gathered outside to witness the historic uncovering. Much to the surprise of the builders, as it predictably turned out to be a fuel tank - complete with a few hundred gallons of the Wehrmachts finest super verbleit - left over from the long vanished POL point in the photo.

12. I can't remember where I got this picture from, possibly off of this site ;-)

Attached Files:

13. Sprogmiester, There are a load on pages 8 & 9 of the historical section of the gallery on here.

14. They may have re-done the POL point in the early 90s, but the POL point has been in the same place for as long as I can remember (early 80s) and as long as one old codger I knew when I was first posted there, and he arrived in Herford for the first time in the late 40s. So there must have been modifications and maint on it and the tanks used for at least that long.