Here's an funny old pic from the BBC news site

How's that work then? We have multiple Field Armies, Corps, and Divisions before we get down to Brigade and Regiment sized elements.
Historically, our Regiments have never been tactical entities; in the time of Wellington, a Gentleman might secure a contract with the Crown to raise, arm, clothe, equip train and field a Battalion for service against the Enemies of the Crown, and we later (in the 19th Century) tied pairs or threes of these entities to particular geographic areas for recruiting purposes, labelling themselves 1st, 2nd,3rd Bns of the Loamshires or whatever, but one would be acting as the Depot unit, pulling together and training drafts of soldiers to dispatch to the others, wherever they might be stationed arouythe Empire.

In wartime, if it was necessary to field a tactical element of 4 battalions (equivalent to a US or Continental European regiment), we'd pull together the required number of battalions, paying no particular heed to capbadges, and call it a Brigade. Pretty much how we have rolled for the last 100years.

Somewhere in there you have the seeds of @old_fat_and_hairy 's discomfort.

In fairness, The Rifles is simply the largest of a number of Frankenstein regiments, most of whose names appear to have been made up by Mike Jackson as he worked his way through the bottom half of a big bottle of single malt.
Royal Tank Regt, was no different. The Regts were not really regional till Mike Jackson got to the bottom of the bottle. With the reductions he brought in. During the 70s and 80s there were 4 Regts, one Scot and 3 English. These were regional of a sort.
Further reductions brought us down to two Regts. 1RTR North of the UK, Scotland and Northern English types.
2RTR everything south of the Mersey York line.
With the latest reductions, there's only one RTR Regt and we retain the Pipes and Drums of 4RTR. But for how much longer???

You make it sound as though they were alone in this, whereas they were just one of the units in a large PMC that was nationalised by Queen Victoria when its Board of Directors became so avaricious arrogant and incompetent that their mismanagement of the total enterprise led to outright rebellion which put Crown revenues and the British economy at risk.
This is one example of around a dozen or so HEIC European regiments. A significant proportion went onto form the 2nd Battalions of the Irish regiments during the Childers/Cardwell Reforms. I think that the Native Infantry regiments were moved over into what became the Indian Army.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ah, Brooke Bks main gate opposite Hesco's/site of Spandau gaol. Post Office inside the gate on the left and Guardroom to the right - main square straight ahead, Officers Mess on the road to the left. Turn right past the G/room and pass company lines; the WO's and Sgts Mess is indeed somewhere 200 yds on the left. IIRC the QMs was somewhere down that end as well.

Hi,

Those old MQs were attached to and of the same architecture as the barracks and were located at the intersection of SKS and Wilhelmstrasse.
The Sergeant's Mess:- as you go through the main gate of Brooke Barracks turn right past the Guard Room, down the road skirting the Square approx' 200 yards you'll find the Mess building on your left, the MQs could be seen from the entrance to the Sergeant's Mess!

Good luck.
Hi would you happen to know how I could find plans stating numbers of the houses in the old MQ's so I could find the exact flat and hopefully gain entry to take some pictures. Thanks for the directions you gave I was able to find the area but would now love to find the exact flat. I was 2yrs old in 1957 and remember loads but would like some pictures.

Hi would you happen to know how I could find plans stating numbers of the houses in the old MQ's so I could find the exact flat and hopefully gain entry to take some pictures. Thanks for the directions you gave I was able to find the area but would now love to find the exact flat. I was 2yrs old in 1957 and remember loads but would like some pictures.
Hi Scrubs, Sorry I can't help you with the numbers of the MQs, glad the other info' I gave was of help.
Good luck.

A couple more pictures turned up on the Beeb today from what looks like the same photo shoot
german 1comp.jpg
german 2.jpg

Interesting: some guys in battledress, others in the new olive green combats.

I'd lay money the fat bloke in the olive combats is a loggie ;-)
Yup - RAOC I’ll warrant.....

Two different types of bowler, too, or maybe that's an artefact of the photo. SLR proudly there.

I pasted the photo into Google image search, and several sources titled the photo as "British Sentry 1960"

Living in Berlin for a couple of years in the 80s was a tremendous experience; there were many former Army types there, 'living on the economy', quite a few working for the BMG. I never saw an L/R painted like that though:
Clipboard01.jpg

Perhaps it was an RMP undercover vehicle.

That’s what a proper VICTORIOUS Army should look like !! ;) .
In the narrow context of the battle for Berlin, the soldiers of the victorious army were Slavic or Eurasian in appearance, and weren't so much intent on parking their APCs on lawns, as forcing their attentions on anything female, breathing, and old enough to be not wearing nappies.

Latest Threads