Here's an funny old pic from the BBC news site

Here's a funny old mix of kit. What looks like 58 webbing and an SLR with wooden furniture, but hairy BD? The helmet looks odd too. What year would this be?
View attachment 196377
He's a Green Jacket FFS - he's hardly going to turn up for duty wearing anything he is supposed to be wearing.

He's wearing all that is necessary, and nothing that is not.

He's a Green Jacket FFS - he's hardly going to turn up for duty wearing anything he is supposed to be wearing.

He's wearing all that is necessary, and nothing that is not.
Don't we love our thinking man's soldiers!
Watched a Guards officer remonstration with a gaggle of Green jackets their logic was breathtaking and their answer was no boss!

HSF

LE
Nope. Not A frames. More like H. They were rectangular, like a very short ladder, made of alloy, with holes at intervals along both sides, and across all of the 5 or 6 horizontals. This gave you an infinity of options for affixing shoulder straps, and for using straps utility to lash burdens of all shapes and size to the metal frame, which was kept off your back by 3 or 4 more tensioned horizontal webbing straps.
That's the fella

rifleair

War Hero
Don't we love our thinking man's soldiers!
Watched a Guards officer remonstration with a gaggle of Green jackets their logic was breathtaking and their answer was no boss!
I once had a discussion in Detmold about whether I should stand up when the RSM comes into the room, l looked up from what I was doing and said good morning sir, he said I'll just go back out and we'll try that again.
He came back in and I said good morning sir again, he stared for a bit and said don't you stand up when the RSM comes into a room, I replied no.
We had a little chat with him saying he would check on what I said with any other RGJ bods and get back to me, there were a few of us there including a Captain so he was able to get a broad view.
I don't recall ever seeing him again!
Come to think of it he was Guards!

Only if I'm much mistaken about CCFs pre-dating OTCs by about a half-century (although I'll confess to never having researched the history of the OTC, whereas I had to produce a summary history of both ACF and CCF in order to demonstrate to HQ LAND how the accountability structures between Army and Cadets had atrophied to the point of ineffectuality in the years after WW2)
Sorry, my mistake. Perhaps I meant was the CCF at one point known as the Junior Division of the OTC. Went to a centenary dinner for the CCF at my old school a few years back.

I once had a discussion in Detmold about whether I should stand up when the RSM comes into the room, l looked up from what I was doing and said good morning sir, he said I'll just go back out and we'll try that again.
He came back in and I said good morning sir again, he stared for a bit and said don't you stand up when the RSM comes into a room, I replied no.
We had a little chat with him saying he would check on what I said with any other RGJ bods and get back to me, there were a few of us there including a Captain so he was able to get a broad view.
I don't recall ever seeing him again!
Come to think of it he was Guards!
You lot speak another language. At IDB it was mutual respect between the Green Machine (A coy) and the Guards (B coy). As a Scot Div Platoon Commander under command of a Guards company commander, 2i/c, CSM and C/Sgt it was a bit like Sandhurst all over again this time with slightly dirtier boots!

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Thought it was the Frame GS, all sorts of stuff could be hung therefrom.
Including the much loved and respected A41 as well as it's lightweight batteries.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
ye olde A41 batteries used to power our portable teles back in the 70s whilst out an about .

Including the much loved and respected A41 as well as it's lightweight batteries.
I recall that particular cell phone like, man portable radio, being strapped to the 'H' frame described by @Stonker .
As an ACF Cadet in the early 70's, I recall lugging one of them around on many signals exercises over Holcombe Moor. I did pity the poor schmuck that had to carry the spare batteries in their large packs. At least I had straps on the frame to keep the sharp edges off my back. No wonder my body is fecked!
Blimey, this thread is firing some seldom used electrons in the grey matter.

ETA: I think it was the A41 we used back then, I may have killed a few brain cells since.

Last edited:
We used to fix 2 x Milan K115 Missiles onto those frames and tab around with them in the Man-Pack role.

Deep Joy.
See my above, reference mortars.
I recall that particular cell phone like, man portable radio, being strapped to the 'H' frame described by @Stonker .
As an ACF Cadet in the early 70's, I recall lugging one of them around on many signals exercises over Holcombe Moor. I did pity the poor schmuck that had to carry the spare batteries in their large packs. At least I had straps on the frame to keep the sharp edges off my back. No wonder my body is fecked!
Blimey, this thread is firing some seldom used electrons in the grey matter.

ETA: I think it was the A41 we used back then, I may have killed a few brain cells since.
Holcombe Moor, eh?
I think we live in the same part of the world.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
WWII Commando units also used this thing - a pack frame. I've also somewhere in a book got a picture of a pack board. Basically, like the frame but with slots up the sides through which webbing straps could be passed to secure things to it.

Screenshot 2020-01-22 at 22.46.20.png

Pack frames, A frames, H frames? Wot's all that about?
If we had to move anywhere, it was just sling your gear on the tank, fill up the boiling vessel for a brew, and sit down. Orf we went. (In green combats)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Pack frames, A frames, H frames? Wot's all that about?
If we had to move anywhere, it was just sling your gear on the tank, fill up the boiling vessel for a brew, and sit down. Orf we went. (In green combats)
To paraphrase an old saying.

Why carry your kit into battle when you can let your kit carry you?

Latest Threads