Hereford - worth a visit?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by EX_STAB, Mar 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What is there to see in Hereford? I've never been down that way. Interesting sites, pubs, shops, museums etc?

Naturally I'll be looking out for the boathouse :;

2. Decent beer I am told, and three eyed locals, never been there you understand.

3. 'Stickies', The Spread Eagle, The Orange Tree all worth a visit; not that I've been there of course some bloke told me.

4. Yep, but don't take your car because the traffic system can't handle it! Gridlock everywhere and the b******s in the Council won't let us have a bypass.

Plenty of pubs and clubs to have a fight in, get admitted to hospital and then die in a ward, that seems to be the norm lately.

5 supermarkets for a stagnant city - bonus. Blow the place up, apart from the cathedral and start again! And I am proud to be a Pointy Head.

5. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Town centre with a medieval layout and a lot of old buildings, an impressive cathedral and a lot of 16 year old Chav single mothers with large, publicly-funded, pushchairs hanging around outside McDonalds. It's basically a busy market town, surrounded by beautiful countryside, but with its share of the usual social problems.

Credenhill is a good few miles outside town and the boat house is particularly well concealed.

6. Frankly, its a bit of a dump. If you're expecting "all the charm of an historic market town" you'll probably be disappointed.

7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Nothing worth the trouble, it will be ploughing season soon though.....too early for cider tasting festivals...
    Depending how general "that way" is, the Glosters museum in Gloucester docks and the South Wales Borderers museum in Brecon are worth visiting.

8. Go to Saxty's. Tell them you're a good friend of the owner and you want to know where to have a good time in Hereford). They'll put you straight (sic).

Guaranteed some fun (unless it has changed hands since I was last there of course).

9. have a look for the boathouse whilst your there.

10. Lots of shops selling balaclavas and masking tape.

11. Hereford....Full of WALTS though (Fu**ing wanna be's)

12. True, but it is always funny watching a walt getting a kicking when trying to impress a real one. Makes I laugh!

13. Beer is excellent - try the Herefordshire IPA - but its hard to find time for beer-drinking with so much CIDER!!!

There is also a brillsers cafe on Canteloup Street that does a very fat boy brekkie.

Finally, this is a personal thing you understand, all that cream and cider produces very well endowed girlies. Many of whom are gingas...what is not to like about Hereford?

14. I wouldn't bother. The town looks like it was bombed in the Blitz and rebuilt in the 60s. In fact it wasn't, but still manages to have that Coventry-esque urban blight.

Last time I was there, I was chased down the street by mong locals throwing bricks.

If you're in that neck of the woods, go to Ledbury, Ludlow, Gloucester, Shrewsbury, Tewkesbury - all olde-worlde market towns with plenty of character.

and no I have no idea where THEY live