Here we go again...

Dirt_Diver

LE
Moderator
#2
The newspaper said soldiers of the 12th Mechanised Infantry Brigade were being briefed this weekend about a possible trip to Sudan.

That's news to me. We're all on leave! who's being briefed? the house elf? 8O
 
#3
In another article on this matter, an "MOD Spokesman", denies it, but stated what wakko jacko said about being able to pull a Brigade out of somewhere if necessary (I'd like to know where).
 

Dirt_Diver

LE
Moderator
#4
Mighty_Blighty said:
In another article on this matter, an "MOD Spokesman", denies it, but stated what wakko jacko said about being able to pull a Brigade out of somewhere if necessary (I'd like to know where).
his arrse by sounds of it
 
#5
Is Bliar trying to get a few more of us out of the country, so that we can't make a very public vote against his cronies and lap-dogs.
Wacko Jacko must have his head up his arrse if he think's that we have available troops for yet another 'Bliar op'.
Who are we going to send?
We can barely cover our current commitments, yes the situation in Sudan is appalling ,but can someone else please go?
Time for our 'brave'allies ,the French, to get off the mark and lead the way. The German's aren't allowed to deploy on ops out of Europe, but as this a humanitarian cause ,they have no real reason not to go.
 

Dirt_Diver

LE
Moderator
#6
clerkofdeath said:
The German's aren't allowed to deploy on ops out of Europe, but as this a humanitarian cause ,they have no real reason not to go.
i thought some bratwurst munchers were afghanistan and continue to be... i know europe's expanding, but that's just silly.
 
#7
I stand corrected. Didn't know the sausage swallowers were anywhere(other than Poland), Must of changed their constitution to allow this.
:!:
 
#8
They did.however they were less than impressive in Kosovo last year during the rioting. Several German newspapers accused the German contingent of being cowards.
 
#10
I'd suspect the Krauts weren't cowards at all in Kosovo, but merely following strict ROE.
That part of the world has seen some serious occupation from the bavarian bully boys ,in the last 100yrs,So it was probably good idea for them not to get all gung-ho.
 
#11
I did not say that I thought of them as cowards..........what I did say was that their own German press labelled them cowards ............ this was due to the fact that they stayed within their camp while less than 500mtrs away Ethnic Albanians were rioting in a Serbian area.......and did nothing at all to prevent it or indeed to protect the Serbs, something which surely must have been within their mandate.... 8)
 
#13
The Germans have about 1700 men in Afghanistan, but the Bundestag has capped the deployment. The Krauts are the second biggest contributor of manpower to ISAF after the Canadians(1860 men))The Bundeswehr says it is fully committed between Kabul and the Balkans. With armed forces of 284,000 available? It's certainly not the German army my grandad knew! And tried to deplete. :lol:
 
#14
Yeah, that'll stop 'em...........Thing is I bet they're Foreign Legion as well...so althought technically they belong to France, penny to a pinch ..there's not that many sons of France amongst them :wink:
 
#15
PK said:
http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackag...?type=topNews&storyID=557304§ion=news]Reuters

Do we really have enough troops to add another operation to our growing list?
Just to make the debate a little more interesting, the LAND deployment levels have dropped considerably over the last 10 months (including TELIC). OCULUS is a fraction of what it used to be, FINGAL is steady (and I suppose will only increase as TELIC reduces) and the end to Arms Plotting in the Inf will have a massive impact within 2 years (as will NI reductions). To be Devil's Advocate, the pressures on Cts are intensive but I would argue that it is NOT at a level which is having a significant impact on either recuitment or retention (according to AG)!

Happy to be corrected!!

Dobbo
 
#16
Come round my house,area; investigate further 'The Volunteers required'.....you are I assume a one legged dwarf....unable to complete even the most basic APWT...there is an "on paper Army Strength" then there is reality!!!!

You gobshoite, have mouthed off on something you apparently know feck all about, we dont just go on OP's then go home.cnut...we go on OP's then maybe have some reduced POTL then we start training again because the rest year has been changed to something else.

Short fact Knobhead..........we come off one OP ; we train for another..........and then panic for a third!!!!!
 
#17
DOBRUN , I don't doubt your figures make sense to some. But try telling all the TA who are being mobilised that we have less commitment. Yes , they know they can be called upon , but that's not the issue. Where are all these extra troops that our decreased workload has given?. The real crux of the matter is that, we have a shrinking armed forces ,which is being pulled all over the globe just to bolster Bliar's popularity as a humanitarian. All this means is that our troops, sailors, airmen are away for longer and more often.
 
#18
Letterwritingman said:
Come round my house,area; investigate further 'The Volunteers required'.....you are I assume a one legged dwarf....unable to complete even the most basic APWT...there is an "on paper Army Strength" then there is reality!!!!

You gobshoite, have mouthed off on something you apparently know feck all about, we dont just go on OP's then go home.cnut...we go on OP's then maybe have some reduced POTL then we start training again because the rest year has been changed to something else.

Short fact Knobhead..........we come off one OP ; we train for another..........and then panic for a third!!!!!
Beautifully argued, Minister, as Sir Humphrey would have said. Couldn't have put it better myself. Good on ye, LWM. :lol: You are, sadly, talking practical reality rather than theoretical shi*e.
 
#19
clerkofdeath said:
DOBRUN , I don't doubt your figures make sense to some. But try telling all the TA who are being mobilised that we have less commitment. Yes , they know they can be called upon , but that's not the issue. Where are all these extra troops that our decreased workload has given?. The real crux of the matter is that, we have a shrinking armed forces ,which is being pulled all over the globe just to bolster Bliar's popularity as a humanitarian. All this means is that our troops, sailors, airmen are away for longer and more often.
I do see where you are coming from - and I can't give you an insight into the TA situation (although I know that the legislation regarding employer obligations is being tightened). We wont see the sort of reductions in tempo that I discussed for 2-3 years but it is interesting that our Defence Planning Assumptions recognise the cts Vs manning balance OUTSIDE of the current TELIC "blip". Yup - you and I might easily argue that we simply await the next "blip" - but I really do feel that we should not underestimate the real impact that NI reductions and the removal of arms plotting will have (17 inf Bns effectively "off the plot" within a cycle.

People will vote with their feet - if they don't, havent our masters got it right??

Dobbo
 

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
#20
claymore said:
The Germans have about 1700 men in Afghanistan, but the Bundestag has capped the deployment. The Krauts are the second biggest contributor of manpower to ISAF after the Canadians(1860 men))The Bundeswehr says it is fully committed between Kabul and the Balkans. With armed forces of 284,000 available? It's certainly not the German army my grandad knew! And tried to deplete. :lol:

Good call that feller with a big knife - the Germans lost a number of their people in a bus bomb in Kabul on ISAF duty last year. They were on their way to the airport to fly out of theatre as I recall.

They also had a small contingent in Kuwait just before Telic kicked off.

The reason they're not in Boz is because they would instantly become part of the problem because of '39- '45. Doesn't apply in Sudan.

If you get your worldview from The Sun you'd be convinced that Britain was the only country that ever sent troops abroad on humanitarian missions - it ain't so.


<< En garde - les politicos!>>

Le Chevre
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top