Here comes the sun... and flies, and blah blah....

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by tyler_durden, Apr 1, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do mobile phones on our networks still operate out there?
  2. YES, if you are near enough to a mast (as ever), but stand by for the phone bill. One chap I know had a £4000 bill for his tour !!!!! :(
  3. Is there some kind of welfare package that gives you free phone calls? :?:
  4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Check out the TA board, that has some excellent pointers.

Mobiles are well pricey to use, make use of the 20 minute welfare call and email facillities. You can even still contact this venerable site- unless it get put on the anti-access list!
  5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Or get a Kuwaiti SIM card (ensure your Brit phone is not SIM-Locked) on your R&R, makes incoming calls quite cheap for your nearest and dearest if I understand correctly that the Kuwaiti phone companies are treating Iraq and Kuwait as one country!
  6. Iraq had no mobile network.

When the ground war started MTC Net boosted its signal into Iraq, As Telic 2 started up the Signals brought in MTCNET (Kuwait vodafone partner) into Iraq and set up an initial network. Not sure who got the full on Iraq contract but its a while off from going fully live.

Good advice on the MTCNet sim though, wish I had thought of that, could of saved a fortune :)

Telic has a great welfare package though. Mobiles are pretty much a luxury out there.
  7. From what i gather the welfare package entitles you to 20 free mins a week/month. Not sure. Some units are getting cheap phone cards ordered whilst others are dipping into welfare/Regimental funds to give the guys some more air time. The way forward i am led to believe is messenger service on Microsoft. You can arrange a time to be online with your loved one and talk 'live' over the internet. The Army pays as well - bonus. The reason i asked my original question was that i heard that UK mobiles have stopped working over there????!!!!! Any light shed would be appreciated from someone in theatre or who has just come back.
  8. You are entitled to 1x 20min card per week. On top of that the Paradigm cabins have internet access with MSN messenger enabled. You can buy extra cards at about $20 each.

If you are vodafone user MTCnet should still work for you as they are a vodafone partner.

I cannot see UK mobiles getting disabled because so much of the commercial and Iraq welfare services (from UK) use the network, also it generates a massive amount of income.

The biggest problem was network traffic, the initial installs could only support a small number of mobiles per cell. This should of been upgraded by now.

I was paying 35p a text (on top of the standard 12p) and 35p to recieve a text. Roaming calls were about £1.40 per min to make and about 0.90p to recieve.

Speak to you provider first and set yourself a bill limit (say £100 per month), that will provide you with a safety net if things get out of hand.
  9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

from my chum elsewhere
  10. Top tip is to buy Paradigm cards from the EFI (£10 or $17 when I was out there) and use them through the military Patron phones (which connect you up via the Whitehall operator) - these last for goddamn ages, whereas the issued Paradigm cards are time limited to 20 mins however you use them.
  11. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

That's nothing new - Didn't Iraq do something similar in '91 ?
  12. the only the military mobiles went down out there was when someone didnt pay the bill ! Paradigm phones cheap and good
  13. I set up a few internet terminals over there and installed them with MSN Messanger. Once we got our provider to unlock messanger on the firewall, i installed a webcam on one of the terminals. It allowed for an acceptable video chat with family and friends over a dedicated 64k link.

Have a chat with whoever is providing your internet and see if something can be set up. Providers always suck their teeth about bandwidth usage, but it makes a hell of a difference to be able to see your loved ones as well as chat to them.