Hercules crash

Initial reports are that the aircraft went down north of Baghdad and the wreckage is scattered over a wide area. My thoughts and prayers are for the crew.

UK military plane crashes in Iraq

A British military transport plane has crashed north of Baghdad, a senior US military officer has said.
There was no immediate word on casualties, but the plane's wreckage was scattered over a large area, according to reports.

The C-130, en route from Baghdad to the city of Balad, crashed about 40 kilometres (25 miles) northwest of Baghdad, said the official.

Helicopters are at the scene and observed the wreckage

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Tragic news, my thoughts are with the families and colleagues of the crew and pax.

The BBC said:
UK military plane crashes in Iraq
Hercules transport plane
It is not known if any survived after a Hercules plane crashed
A British military transport plane has crashed in Iraq, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed.

There was no immediate word on casualties, but the RAF plane's wreckage was scattered over a large area, according to reports.

The C-130 Hercules, en route from Baghdad to the city of Balad, crashed about 40 kilometres (25 miles) north west of Baghdad, say US officials.

The incident was reported at 1725 local time (1425 GMT).

Helicopters are at the scene and have observed the wreckage.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said of the crash: "It has just happened and it is one of ours."

British military chiefs have used the plane as a "workhorse" to transport troops, fuel, ammunition and humanitarian relief.

It is the favoured aircraft of special forces (SAS) and is regarded as being especially of use in Iraq for its ability to land in desert conditions.

Shocking news.

One can only think of the families and friends of the crew that have been lost in this tragedy and hope that the plane was carrying equipment rather than passengers.

Contact was lost with the aircraft suddenly with no warning from the pilot. One area of consideration for the cause is a SAM. Another was a collision with another aircraft [none have been reported missing]. Mechanical trouble is a last possibility. What a tragedy.

Terrible news for all at Lyneham - and at any other base if others other than crew involved.

Please don't speculate as to the possible cause - it only adds to the distress felt by those who are closely involved with the possible loss of loved ones or close friends and colleagues...

Bliar live on BBC News 24 - the usual sickening faux concern, talking about the 'tragic loss of life' in Herc crash. MoD have yet to confirm any news of casualties, so why is Bliar talking about it?

Wish to add my condolences - shocking news on a day when a lot of us expected trouble elsewhere in the country. My thoughts are with those affected by the loss.