Herald of Free Enterprise

B

Biscuits_AB

Anybody apart from me and NB watching this?

Didn't I** B****tt and a crew go down there to work in the morturies from Duss?

I remember that I was on ITICs at Werl when it happened.

How many HM Forces were killed on that ferry?

There were a lot of service families, kids etc on board....Hodge will know as he was part of the team at the Zeebrugge temp morgue. Very disturbing.

I fcuking hope so!
<goes and looks on the O&B site>

Hodge is deffo still with us.....and doing well.......his jokes are still shit though :D

Spent many an hour on the HoFE before the incident. It always seemed that they treated their passengers as 'human cattle'. Never impressed with the standard of the crew but treated the experience as a neccessary evil when going on leave.

How many HM Forces were killed on that ferry?
I know there were siggies from Herford on board.

Spent many an hour on the HoFE before the incident. It always seemed that they treated their passengers as 'human cattle'. Never impressed with the standard of the crew but treated the experience as a neccessary evil when going on leave.
I'd almost forgotten that part, and the truck drivers restaurant with all day breakfasts at 02.00 with the bloody thing swinging like a cork in a bath, and the passenger deck outside the toilets splashed with puke from all the people who didn't quite make it, and the lounge looking like the gun deck of the Temeraire at Trafalgar with bodies everywhere various colours of puce.

I think siggies in fact did lose people in HoFE

B

Biscuits_AB

Likewise. Shoved on in my 'Datsun Squaddie', upstairs fighting my way past the smelly truckers, try to find a seat and head down for a few hours.

I know the RCT movers at Antwerp here heavily involved, I don't think any of them are still serving though.

I'm fortunate, i have been on three ferries, where on the return journey they sank sank/hit the harbour, just call me uncle Albert, if you see me get off a ferry, dont board for the return. The HoFE is one of them :(, i am not taking the p1ss, RIP to the lost.

Oh i took a flight with the old DanDare, took 4 spirals to land then skipped right to left on the wheels on landing (old chap watched it), ended up at the end of the runway, sliding down the emergency shoot.

I tend to drive on holidays now!

B

Biscuits_AB

leveller said:
I'm fortunate, i have been on three ferries, where on the return journey they sank sank/hit the harbour, just call me uncle Albert, if you see me get off a ferry, dont board for the return. The HoFE is one of them :(, i am not taking the p1ss, RIP to the lost.

Oh i took a flight with the old DanDare, took 4 spirals to land then skipped right to left on the wheels on landing (old chap watched it), ended up at the end of the runway, sliding down the emergency shoot.

I tend to drive on holidays now!
You don't tow a caravan do you?

Gremlin said:
Just one comment to make as I have strong ties with TT and the HoFE as well, please remember that 50% of the crew died that night.
Likewise I was working for one of the companies that suppled equipment for the SOFIE class. (Not the doors I might add).

Whilst the programme was very good at showing the human side of the accident I felt that it was not good on the technical side, nor did it make any mention of the changes made to design and operation of such ferries since then, rather it left the average potential passenger with the thought that any RORO is an accident waiting to happen, should have looked at the credits to see if it was sponsored by the Channel Tunnel.

B

Biscuits_AB

Sometimes, it comes down to what makes good TV and the boring 'relevant' stuff gets left out.

Made you wonder what it would have been like on board that night though.

Before this thread gets out of hand and people start telling sick jokes please remember that some ex-squaddies are still effected by this.

I lost my mother and sister on the HoFE that night, my father (ex ACC) was rescued but died a year later. The scars never heal.

Sadly some of my Battalion and their families were on this rust bucket and lost their lives in the disaster. The Battalion actually considered itself fortunate - were it not for a particularly 'forthright' CO's Parade to admininster a collective bollocking for some misdemeanour or another, which meant many missed this sailing (even with a best time of 4hrs 30 to the coast), many more would have died.

I was CVO for one family and as it involved the wife of one of our lads it was particularly harrowing.

RIP Catherine Mason

Biscuits_AB said:
Sometimes, it comes down to what makes good TV and the boring 'relevant' stuff gets left out.

Made you wonder what it would have been like on board that night though.
I agree it was an excellent examination of the human side of the tradegy.
It is I think however irresponsible to deal with the technical aspects in such an ofhand measure, in some ways it suggests that lessons were not learnt which is clearly not the case, although the sharp poke in the ribs for Prescott was well justified.

Peter

One of the old and bold screws still serving as a monkey was on board the Herald. I seem to recall he was crew at the time.