Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Her Majesty's Platinum Jubilee - your thoughts and reflections

Yokel

LE
As far as I am aware there is no thread dedicated to the Platinum Jubilee as such, just ones about aspects such as Trooping the Colour, the flypast, and the 'Party at the Palace'. This thread is intended as a belated attempt to create a place for memories and reflections.

I watched a great deal of the TV coverage yesterday, and found the coverage of historic events and the readings of Her Majesty's own words to be insightful and often moving. I reflected on the way we have often taken Her Majesty for granted. I have commented before at the way she was able to reach out to the nation in a way that nobody else could - certainly no politician. I am thinking of her address to the nation early during the first COVID-19 lackdown - offering the hopeful words that "We will meet again".

Of course her impact has gone far beyond these shores, such as offering comfort to the United States in the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks. I have been personally comforted by Her Majesty's profound words at the memorial service - that grief is the price we pay for love. So many profound comments have been like the wise and comforting words of an older female relative. Her Majesty has acted as a leader, not as decision maker but by setting an example of duty and compassion, and in many ways acting as a Philosopher.

The last seventy years have seen huge changes, however human nature has not. I love to see Her Majesty in informal settings where her warmth and interest in people shines through.

God Bless Your Majesty.

HM The Queen inspected me on the Sovereign's Parade at RMAS in 2006.

I have a distinct memory of how fast she could move for an 80-year-old, which was pleasing as it was windy & trying to keep the tip of the sword steady was a pain.

I have a distinct memory of how fast she could move for an 80-year-old, which was pleasing as it was windy & trying to keep the tip of the sword steady was a pain.
maybe she had no choice, and was being carried by the wind. Did you not hear a plaintiff “help one!” as she sailed by?

I am amazed by the way UKplc can put on a show. That concert last night, love it or loath it, was visually amazing. I don't think any other country could pull off a display like that.

BZ to everyone involved. Tea and medals tomorrow!

I was at that one - Queen wore red, first public outing with the Royal Family for Kate. The girl O/Cdt who won the best sportsperson prize was dead in Iraq a few months later.

I am amazed by the way UKplc can put on a show. That concert last night, love it or loath it, was visually amazing. I don't think any other country could pull off a display like that.

BZ to everyone involved. Tea and medals tomorrow!
I’m into my Politics, but had to switch off Sophie Rayworth this morning when she introduced her show talking about the PM facing ‘more challenges’ tomorrow when Westminster returns to business as usual.
The past 4 days has been a bit of escape from reality (including Politics) and I have really enjoyed the Pomp and Ceremony. We really can put on a show and it makes me so proud to be British.
I don’t do big crowds, so we have watched it all unfold from the comfort of our own home and it’s been amazing.
It’s such a shame the lady who should be front and centre of the celebrations has not been able to fully participate, for obvious reasons, but I think the way Her Majesty has been woven into the events has been wonderful. There is clearly a great deal of affection for our Queen in this Country and I’m pleased those opposed to the RF and the Platinum Jubilee have been conspicuous by their absence.
Long may she Reign and I wish her Health and Happiness in the twilight of her life.
Back down to Earth tomorrow, but it’s been a blast.

I just realised a sad thought, this will never happen again in my lifetime or my childrens. In fact I doubt I’ll ever see a jubilee celebration of any kind.
If anything, maybe Williams silver one, if he gets that chance.

I’ll really miss HM when it’s time, I’m sure we all will . It really will be the end of something, something we’ve only ever known.

I just realised a sad thought, this will never happen again in my lifetime or my childrens. In fact I doubt I’ll ever see a jubilee celebration of any kind.
If anything, maybe Williams silver one, if he gets that chance.

I’ll really miss HM when it’s time, I’m sure we all will . It really will be the end of something, something we’ve only ever known.
There are several milestones in sight, though they may not all warrant the same sort of commemorations that we are seeing in this Platinum year.

In June 2024 Queen Elizabeth's length of reign will exceed that Louis XIV (Le Roi Soleil). He managed a 72 year stint by virtue of coming to the French throne at age 5, and this stands as the all time record for any monarch, anywhere, anytime in history.

In April 2026 the Queen will reach her 100th birthday, if Charles hasn't previously put rat poison in her marmalade sandwich.

In February 2027 she will have been on the throne for 75 years, 75 being a more logical numerical progression to the usual 25 - 50 -75 advancement of any sequence.

If the Queen lives to the same age as her mother, she will see all of these dates.

It has been a splendid few days. From a small local gathering to last nights epic.

The word "showcase" can be a bit overused these days, but if you wanted to "showcase" the incredible thing that is Great Britain you would struggle to do better.

The young chappie from Diversity (how clever are they?) summed it up inadvertently in his reference to pop music, stating how incredible it was that so much had come from a nation with about 1%of the world's land mass.

Not just pop music laddie.