Her Majesty's Platinum Jubilee - your thoughts and reflections

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
As I observed to several people, not a good weekend for the republicans.

As with the BBC's attempting and failing to re-school us prior to the last general election, so again the British public has shown its affection for, well, Britain.

That's Britain in its most traditional of manifestations, and as symbolised by one women whose longevity, steadfastness and sense of duty I remain in awe of.

Some things grated. The Montecito Morons still managed to get too much MSM coverage, although it was heartening to see how they were managed by all concerned.

Some of the pageant stuff was, frankly, too on-message. The overbearance of certain 'messages' was in my opinion tedious. If we're going after equality, I feel that the Asian communities were under-represented.

But everywhere I was, there was bunting... and smiles. That was the main thing.

The tea with Paddington skit was sublime and underlined the self-deprecating humour of the person in the most visible role in the world.

Last edited:
I Know its the Express - but come to think of it, there seemed to be a lack of 'Congratulations' from our EU politicians

SHAME on them: EU chiefs IGNORE Queen's Platinum Jubilee in bitter 'diplomatic snub'​

THE EU has been shamed after the bloc's chiefs Ursula von der Leyen and Charles Michel ignored the Queen's Platinum Jubilee, staying silent as other world leaders paid tribute to Her Majesty.​

Yokel

LE
Since when have the failed politicians at the helm of the EU counted as World leaders?

Were there any messages from the national leaders of EU member countries, a number of whom have historic ties to Britain and/or their own monarchies that perform similar constitutional and ceremonial roles to ours?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Since when have the failed politicians at the helm of the EU counted as World leaders?

Were there any messages from the national leaders of EU member countries, a number of whom have historic ties to Britain and/or their own monarchies that perform similar constitutional and ceremonial roles to ours?
Heh. You might ask them what they consider themselves to be.

g4eddie

Old-Salt
I Know its the Express - but come to think of it, there seemed to be a lack of 'Congratulations' from our EU politicians

SHAME on them: EU chiefs IGNORE Queen's Platinum Jubilee in bitter 'diplomatic snub'​

THE EU has been shamed after the bloc's chiefs Ursula von der Leyen and Charles Michel ignored the Queen's Platinum Jubilee, staying silent as other world leaders paid tribute to Her Majesty.​

utter scum the both of them.

I dare say that if they had sent EU congratulations the Express would have slagged them off for setting themselves up as world leaders.

Yes.
Shouldn't the question be has the EU congratulated any other Heads of State on various anniversaries?

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Reasonable, the EU is not a country and is spiteful to ex members.

As far as I am aware there is no thread dedicated to the Platinum Jubilee as such, just ones about aspects such as Trooping the Colour, the flypast, and the 'Party at the Palace'. This thread is intended as a belated attempt to create a place for memories and reflections.

I watched a great deal of the TV coverage yesterday, and found the coverage of historic events and the readings of Her Majesty's own words to be insightful and often moving. I reflected on the way we have often taken Her Majesty for granted. I have commented before at the way she was able to reach out to the nation in a way that nobody else could - certainly no politician. I am thinking of her address to the nation early during the first COVID-19 lackdown - offering the hopeful words that "We will meet again".

Of course her impact has gone far beyond these shores, such as offering comfort to the United States in the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks. I have been personally comforted by Her Majesty's profound words at the memorial service - that grief is the price we pay for love. So many profound comments have been like the wise and comforting words of an older female relative. Her Majesty has acted as a leader, not as decision maker but by setting an example of duty and compassion, and in many ways acting as a Philosopher.

The last seventy years have seen huge changes, however human nature has not. I love to see Her Majesty in informal settings where her warmth and interest in people shines through.

God Bless Your Majesty.
Simply this.

God Save The Queen

Yokel

LE
One of the comments I heard repeatedly over the Jubilee weekend was the way that Her Majesty brought people together, not just international leaders but also the British public. I remember a comment by the veteran actor Sir David Jason that we (as a nation) need more things to unite everyone.

By God we need it.

Yokel

LE
Slightly tangential question. Is it or will be possible to purchase something like a DVD of the BBC coverage of the Jubilee events and the one off programmes broadcast over that weekend? These things were and are of huge significance and it would be nice to be able to enjoy then in the future.

So much of our recent national history is a treasure that is sadly obscured.

I know there are Rules, but IMHO it was a pity that the fly-past had to be so high... surely for a one-off like this, and given the participating aircraft, a lower altitude could have been permitted?

I was on the ground and they came in pretty close given the amount of tall buildings, spires, Nelsons column etc

Slightly tangential question. Is it or will be possible to purchase something like a DVD of the BBC coverage of the Jubilee events and the one off programmes broadcast over that weekend? These things were and are of huge significance and it would be nice to be able to enjoy then in the future.

So much of our recent national history is a treasure that is sadly obscured.

Yes there will be a number of versions produced

If you're thinking of Jo Dyer (Int Corps), I can't remember her winning any of the named awards. Queen's Medal went to Dave Robertson (who later took an RPG to the chest and walked it off - BBC NEWS | Scotland | Highlands and Islands | Rocket 'bounced off' army officer).

The Sword of Honor went to someone else who joined the Engineers, not Jo.

Somebody has done a "Like" to my original post, which has drawn my attention back to yours.

Jo Dyer was joint winner of the John Peile Prize, "Awarded to the O/Cdts who have contributed most to Sport."
The other joint winner was one M A Jeffery, REME.

I didn't have the slightest interest at the time, I wasn't there to watch a prize giving, but you pick up all sorts of peripheral information without realising it when you are alert. However, a few months later (April 2007) when I was told about the incident in which she and others died, there was comment that she had been on the same Sov's Parade as William and I made the connection.

Sword went to a Sapper JUO, as you say, name of Laycock, Medal to Robertson.

Somebody has done a "Like" to my original post, which has drawn my attention back to yours.

Jo Dyer was joint winner of the John Peile Prize, "Awarded to the O/Cdts who have contributed most to Sport."
The other joint winner was one M A Jeffery, REME.

I didn't have the slightest interest at the time, I wasn't there to watch a prize giving, but you pick up all sorts of peripheral information without realising it when you are alert. However, a few months later (April 2007) when I was told about the incident in which she and others died, there was comment that she had been on the same Sov's Parade as William and I made the connection.

Sword went to a Sapper JUO, as you say, name of Laycock, Medal to Robertson.
Ahh, thank you - I can't even remember that one, as I was too busy remembering important campaign-winning stuff, such as how to form line from column of route, and how to march up some steps in silly shoes without falling over.

Yokel

LE
Yes there will be a number of versions produced

I hope so, but will they be for sale to the public as a audiovisual memento of a truly historic moment, and an event that pulled the nation together? Or will they simply be left to gather dust somewhere in the archives in Broadcasting House?

My Mum bought a Jubilee version of God Save The Queen - with all the proceeds going to charity.

I hope so, but will they be for sale to the public as a audiovisual memento of a truly historic moment, and an event that pulled the nation together? Or will they simply be left to gather dust somewhere in the archives in Broadcasting House?

My Mum bought a Jubilee version of God Save The Queen - with all the proceeds going to charity.

No the BBC / ITV /SKY / GBNews etc are all money making concerns there will be dozens of versions for the domestic and international markets.

Don't worry.

Latest Threads