Her Majesty's Platinum Jubilee - your thoughts and reflections

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
All in all a pretty fair effort by all involved. I think many of us have fond memories of Parades/Visits that have involved HM. Like many others have said, I feel the Monarchy won't last passed Prince George. There just isn't the interest now. That was evident in the number of street parties that didn't happen. Today's overly entitled generation just do not have the same thoughts or feeling that he old 'uns do.

RangdoOfArg

LE
Book Reviewer
All in all a pretty fair effort by all involved. I think many of us have fond memories of Parades/Visits that have involved HM. Like many others have said, I feel the Monarchy won't last passed Prince George. There just isn't the interest now. That was evident in the number of street parties that didn't happen. Today's overly entitled generation just do not have the same thoughts or feeling that he old 'uns do.
I agree. Went to the shops, and no parties seen here in Fareham.
I do remember going to a Silver Jubilee party as a kid on a very quiet sidestreet and it was crowded.
Now we just watch on TV and that is seemingly enough.

PFGEN

GCM
Like some others here I felt a tinge of sadness about the weekend. About this being the last one before the final event. In the documentary showed the other night The Queen herself commented on the passage of time and the inevitable changes. Her faith is clearly strong enough that she fully realises that a time will come when she won't be here, others will take over and changes will continue. Quite a poignant statement. A lot of us want to hang on to what we have, for some of us it has been one of the stable consistent factors in our lives and we'd rather not have it end.

As to the future I think Charles will actually turn out to be a good King but he'll realises that his reign will just be to fill the gap between Elizabeth and William. He'll use the time to ensure that William has a run without the family hangers on. No work, no cash, which should wake a few up to the realities of modern Britain. William seems to be turning out rather well. He can clearly connect with the younger generation so I think there is a good chance that the monarchy will have a future in the UK once a lot of us have shuffled off. I don't think the UK would ever tolerate a Kim Jong Corbyn.

Union Jack

War Hero
Watching the highlights can I just say the Bishop of York is a ****
I'm sure that the Archbishop of York would defend your right to say so and then ask for advice where this impostor can be found!

OTOH.... @philc if you actually meant the Archbishop, I suspect that many people felt that he made a pretty decent job of standing in for the Archbishop of Canterbury at very short notice, so perhaps you would be kind enough to elaborate on why you feel the former is a ****, and why that is a good or bad thing.:?

Not my religion so no personal axe to grind!

Jack

We had a bit of a doo at a garden party my boss held yesterday, then got home in time to watch the show on telly. There's been some flags and bunting here and there where I live (30 mins North of Edinburgh) and a few small street parties, but as usual the snp cult have been spewing their filth all while their hypocritical excuse of a leader was enjoying her time at the jubilee.
Personally I found it a most enjoyable weekend and loved seeing London bedecked with flags and everyone celebrating. Sadly Scotland seems to have lost the enjoyment of pomp and ceremony after years of division and bigotry.
Very sad that some people don't realise they'll never see that again in their lifetime.
Don’t you live in Milnathort? I’m surprised that you missed the big hooly in Kinross. We went with some friends and it was rammed. I doubt there has been a bigger event in Kinross since T in the Park.

Attachments

• B6A21B58-533B-4B98-8146-A1C6081AF4BE.jpeg
    B6A21B58-533B-4B98-8146-A1C6081AF4BE.jpeg
    606.6 KB · Views: 12
Nice to see a portrait of Her Majesty completed by an artist called Ronnie Wood. I believe Mr Wood is also a musician with a well-known beat combo.

286155180_576962803789657_8436849620511948117_n.jpg

As far as the events themselves are concerned, a big 'well done' to all involved.

I posted this montage on the Ukraine thread earlier as part of KGB_resident's on-going education, but I do think it carries an essential truth about the last few days and the critical role the monarchy plays in making our constitution work. Further, we seem to be about the only country capable of staging a sustained national celebration without imperilling good taste or world peace.

View attachment 668063
Above excellent, and i do hope all Russian lovers see this, and report back to the Kremlin the thoughts and comments of us all here in the UK. Some of my lot were chased out of vitebsk in 1903 by the czars cossacks, and settled in the UK, i am second generation, and i give thanks to the gods ( whatever they are) for their perilous escape. The rest were slaughtered by the Germans in WW2. Nothing changes only the uniform.

EddieVDog

War Hero
It was the Physicist Niels Bohr who said it. Google says that the quote is "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future".

Not quite as odd as it might seem at first glance - investigators trying to work out why x happened, or why something stopped working are essentially predicting the past. From a philosophical point of view, it lends itself to trying to understand all the things that have made things work, and allowing yourself to understand them, as opposed to reckless changing them and hoping for the best.
predicting the future is a piece of p1ss....example: If I spend the disposable income on boys toys, then I can confidently predict Long Haired General will be mightily p!ssed off and much misery for yours truly will ensue. I can guarantee this prediction 100%

predicting the future is a piece of p1ss....example: If I spend the disposable income on boys toys, then I can confidently predict Long Haired General will be mightily p!ssed off and much misery for yours truly will ensue. I can guarantee this prediction 100%
"The crime is getting caught" The art of subterfuge is concealment, and keeping schtum! ;)

Cyberhacker

War Hero
I know there are Rules, but IMHO it was a pity that the fly-past had to be so high... surely for a one-off like this, and given the participating aircraft, a lower altitude could have been permitted?

I know there are Rules, but IMHO it was a pity that the fly-past had to be so high... surely for a one-off like this, and given the participating aircraft, a lower altitude could have been permitted?
I think that was for the benefit of the rest of london, and its overseas visitors in the tourists area of the nearby west end, who were unable to get to the main venue, to witness a once in a lifetime event. :salut:

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A pity the re enactment of Lady Jan Grey at The Tower by Meghan never came to pass.

Last edited:

Trashman

War Hero
We had a bit of a doo at a garden party my boss held yesterday, then got home in time to watch the show on telly. There's been some flags and bunting here and there where I live (30 mins North of Edinburgh) and a few small street parties, but as usual the snp cult have been spewing their filth all while their hypocritical excuse of a leader was enjoying her time at the jubilee.
Personally I found it a most enjoyable weekend and loved seeing London bedecked with flags and everyone celebrating. Sadly Scotland seems to have lost the enjoyment of pomp and ceremony after years of division and bigotry.
Very sad that some people don't realise they'll never see that again in their lifetime.
Or perhaps, while we enjoyed watching it on tv, most of us just aren't interested in street parties?
Division and bigotry? You must live in a different Scotland to me. (Fife always was another world though!) :)

I've not seen anything from the SNP against the jubilee or the Royal Family. The party that is not republican by the way. I live 30 minutes west of Edinburgh.

For many it was all quite loud enough.;)
I'd have thought the Royals would have had convo issues with the kids.

Latest Threads