Her Majesty's Platinum Jubilee - your thoughts and reflections

‘Time is the thing that stops everything happening simultaneously.’
I’ve heard that quote twice in the past couple of weeks, but cannot, for the life of me, remember where it was from.
Tempus fugit.

It was the Physicist Niels Bohr who said it. Google says that the quote is "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future".

Not quite as odd as it might seem at first glance - investigators trying to work out why x happened, or why something stopped working are essentially predicting the past. From a philosophical point of view, it lends itself to trying to understand all the things that have made things work, and allowing yourself to understand them, as opposed to reckless changing them and hoping for the best.
Right.

When you say “all the things that have made things work”, where do Sea Harriers fit in?

If you're thinking of Jo Dyer (Int Corps), I can't remember her winning any of the named awards. Queen's Medal went to Dave Robertson (who later took an RPG to the chest and walked it off - BBC NEWS | Scotland | Highlands and Islands | Rocket 'bounced off' army officer).

The Sword of Honor went to someone else who joined the Engineers, not Jo.

There was a prize for some sort of sports achievement, and she won it.

Forgive the O/T post, but Jo and I graduated from the same college (she was several years after me) - one of her two obits in the college magazine contained the memorable line:

'Having witnessed O/Cdt Dyer, during a Sandhurst exercise, subdue a number of large Fijian soldiers with some colourful language and a posture any All Black would be proud of, I am inclined to think she would have had little trouble holding her ground among her boys... '

She was a talented hockey player (won a Blue) and if memory serves, rowed to a pretty proficient level as well.

I also felt that this was the last time we would see the Queen again on the balcony. It all felt a bit final…
Feeling a bit emotional about it !

All being well, if she lives for longer than her mother (whose health was not as good when she was 96), I think we might be lucky and get a 75th - although whether Brian May will be in any fit state to do that one is anyone's guess.

The weather forecasters were all doom and gloom.
But the weather itself held off rain until it was proper time to go home.
Liz gets it right again
Long live the Queen ( and slava. Ukraine )

Yokel

LE
Right.

When you say “all the things that have made things work”, where do Sea Harriers fit in?

Que?

What has an old aircraft that would have been retired years ago, upon its successor entering service, got to do with constitutional issues and the danger of politicians making changes with adverse consequences due to not understanding how and why things have developed they way they have? All the evidence is that the Monarchy is one of the things that whelps things work, it separates the State and the Government of the day, helps keep politicians in their place, and adds to soft power. Yet a lot of this is difficult to explain.

One thing listening to Stephen Fry last night commenting that we were all Elizabethan's never thought much about it until driving today and started deeping thinking about it, I'd never thought of it like that before and assumed calling folk Elizabethans takes you back to the 15th centuary, Not anymore!

So what era do we become when Charles or William takes the throne (although having a king Billy is going to trigger elements)

One thing listening to Stephen Fry last night commenting that we were all Elizabethan's never thought much about it until driving today and started deeping thinking about it, I'd never thought of it like that before and assumed calling folk Elizabethans takes you back to the 15th centuary, Not anymore!

So what era do we become when Charles or William takes the throne (although having a king Billy is going to trigger elements)
If they take those names, of course.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Jubilee past - who remembers this and were you there?

Yes and Yes. Queen's Silver Jubilee celebrations, Sennelager 1977. I was at 1 ADTU doing a Dog Handling course.

RangdoOfArg

LE
Book Reviewer
Kind of neutral, really. Watched the trooping of the colour, and some of todays show..
I didn’t understand the half of it, and I’m not yet 50.
I did enjoy seeing HMQ making an appearance at the end, purely for her appearance. Many of the women in my family made a great age; one Great-Grandma made 105.
I hope she retires to watch the horse-racing on TV, she’s earn the right to put her feet up.

RangdoOfArg

LE
Book Reviewer
If they take those names, of course.
They can take any Regnal name they choose. It was rumoured a while back that the PoW may style himself as the the next George Rex on accession.
I think Carolus Rex III has a ring. I think he would be another Merrie Monarch.

philc

LE
Watching the highlights can I just say the Bishop of York is a ****

Latest Threads