Her Majes Birthday (bloody pedantic the lot of you)

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by BiscuitsAB, Apr 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

HM Queen Elizabeth's birthday is in a couple of days and I've just found out that certain commonwealth countries including Gib have it as a public holiday!

WTF. Why don't we?

2. Seriously, you don't get a public holiday for the Queens birthday in the UK?

3. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

Of course not. Our would be Soviet leaders are not happy about the rest of the world being aware the UK is still a monarchy (and long may it last).

4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Because it would piss the muslims and queers off, and whoever else gets easily outraged nowadays.

5. Civil servants get the day off , its just not taken on the day if that makes sense. we usually take it with the late spring bank holiday.

Kind regards,

RM

6. Someone's having a fcuking laugh here! In Aussie it's a long weekend.

7. Rather odd. I get two public holidays for HM's birthdays this year, the Bank Holiday Mondays of 3rd and 31st May.

I think it's just your employer taking the piss. Is your employer Brenda herself, just wanting to forget about birthdays now she's no longer in the first flush of youth? You know what women are like about aging...

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its Brenda not Madge

9. I seem to remember the Tories turned the idea down too because they didn't want us wage slaves getting an extra day off with full pay.

10. Canada takes a day off to celebrate her Queenship..course we wait until later in the year when the possibility of snow spoiling a BBQ p!ss up is diminished.

To save money we piggyback it on a party to celebrate her great grannie, Queen Victoria, who had something to do with setting up the country and picking a backward, out of the way, dump as the nation's capital. Think the old dear used a dart, a blindfold and a gas station road map to select the town.

11. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I'm so glad you said that. I thought this thread was about Madonna!!!

12. Sorry Biscuits,But I think you'll find we were being pedantry.

13. To be pedantic you can't be pedantry you'd have to be pedantic if exercising pedantry.

I know, I'll get my coat

14. No no no, one is pedantic, not pedantry. A pedant practices pedantry.