HEMA and Martial Arts

Should martial arts be incorporated into the training programme?

• Total voters
Sirs,
Given the current happenings regards the attacks and attempted kidnappings from Islamic State; does anyone think putting HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) and other forms of martial arts on the CMS, or a training programme, is worth doing?

As soldiers we are mostly taught 'battlefield' manoeuvres and armed combat as a team. Random attempts at kidnapping and murder are quite different and I think we must be prepared. HEMA and Oriental Martial Arts, teach one on one unarmed combat, self defence, defending against an armed opponents etc...

Also, HEMA is great fun too.

check out Scholagladiatoria on YouTube. scholagladiatoria

Ooooh this'll be good

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
So, just on the off-chance, everyone should keep their sword on them at all times?

I will stick with a bow, ok its a compound bow so not medieval. Sod that get up close and personal

MMA style strength training is already included in PT, when supervised by those qualified to do so.

Great fun.

I will stick with a bow, ok its a compound bow so not medieval. Sod that get up close and personal
Casual. I train for five hours a day on the yew longbow. I can put a bodkin through a watermelon at three hundred yards - I'm certain this will penetrate a suicide vest-wearing Saracen. Deus Vult.

Ok. jokes (slightly) to the side. Carry swords about maybe a little bit extreme.., though they don't like it up 'em. HEMA does focus on historical fencing, it also covers all manner of aspects of combat from as early as the 13th century to the 19th century.

Even though it may be covered in PT, I am emphasising a focus on a specific area of training.

Great fun but issuing everybody a pistol would be more practical.

Failing that, a new pattern of General Issue sabre is the obvious thing for the serviceman of today.

The PTIs will be busy drilling everybody to stop doing passing footwork!

Ok. jokes (slightly) to the side. Carry swords about maybe a little bit extreme.., though they don't like it up 'em. HEMA does focus on historical fencing, it also covers all manner of aspects of combat from as early as the 13th century to the 19th century.

Even though it may be covered in PT, I am emphasising a focus on a specific area of training.
You've had your fun. Now fùck off.

Will they be issuing machetes and tasers?

I want a taser.

P.S. I only voted YES because it's amusing.

Will they be issuing machetes and tasers?

I want a taser.

P.S. I only voted YES because it's amusing.
If you had a taser you'd use it as a TENS machine!

There is some sense in the proposal it's just never going to get taken seriously. A bit like marksmanship.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Sirs,
Given the current happenings regards the attacks and attempted kidnappings from Islamic State; does anyone think putting HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) and other forms of martial arts on the CMS, or a training programme, is worth doing?

As soldiers we are mostly taught 'battlefield' manoeuvres and armed combat as a team. Random attempts at kidnapping and murder are quite different and I think we must be prepared. HEMA and Oriental Martial Arts, teach one on one unarmed combat, self defence, defending against an armed opponents etc...

Also, HEMA is great fun too.

check out Scholagladiatoria on YouTube. scholagladiatoria
No you fcuking intergalactic clungecrust.

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

Everything you need to know is in here.

All-In Fighting;by Captain W E Fairbairn, World War II, covers strikes, holds, releases

I read it twice a night and train three times a week using old people who want company. If you approach me wearing a German helmet or with a swastika printed on your head, you're a dead man.

This will end well.
It's not at all likely that pissed up squaddies will be trying moves out on each other in the pub for Shits n Giggles is it.

This will end well.
It's not at all likely that pissed up squaddies will be trying moves out on each other in the pub for Shits n Giggles is it.
To be fair, i am usually quite sensible but I did once nearly break a mate's wrist showing a cool lock with a AA maglite - so even monkeys fall off trees and do silly things.

Mr Fairbairn was a new comer - check out the tache on this dude! No way I would fight that, as such taches are now reserved for "raging HERMERS" (as I believe masters of HEMA are titled).

Bartitsu: The Martial Art of Gentlemen | The Art of Manliness