• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

helping with 1.5mile run

hi all, im running 2miles aday sometimes 4miles (morning and night). whats the best way to get my run time down?

should i run more distance or run short distances faster and gradualy in crease the distance.

would be thankful for your help and advice.

T/J/LeGg said:
hi all, im running 2miles aday sometimes 4miles (morning and night). whats the best way to get my run time down?

should i run more distance or run short distances faster and gradualy in crease the distance.

Checking old posts/using the search function might do well for starters.

T/J/LeGg said:

Well this is what I do

Monday- 3.5 mile followed by 1.5 mile (best effort)
Wednesday- Interval Training- It helps with the 1.5 mile run
Friday- same as Monday
Sunday- slow long run followed by best effort 1.5 mile run

By the way add 1 mile each week for Monday and Friday, also try and do hill sprints when you run.

You don't need to be running 2 miles everyday because you won't get any fitter you will actually injure youself rather than getting fitter have at least 3 rest days, your body needs 24 hours of recovery.

AFC_1992 said:
T/J/LeGg said:

Well this is what I do

Friday- same as Monday

By the way add 1 mile each week for Monday and Friday, also try and do hill sprints when you run.

You don't need to be running 2 miles everyday because you won't get any fitter you will actually injure youself rather than getting fitter have at least 3 rest days, your body needs 24 hours of recovery.
My bold, and why is that, darling?

T/J/LeGg said:

f

What sort of interval training do you do?

I'm currently doing.

Monday 4mile

Wednesday 1.5 fast, then 3mile

Friday 1.5 fast, then 3mile.

What i did tonight though was the 1.5 fast, then a comfortable 3mile but whilst doing the 3mile I put in sprinting between lamp posts and jogging past from lamp post to lamp post and repeating that 5 times.

I've taken my 1.5mile run time from 10:53 to 9:41 but I want to get early 9mins possibly 8:50s..

Any tips

i route out what i would say( mistake for my spelling not the best). i did a huge mong up of coming out when i was 17 fu** up if you ask me but i wish the right officer would of been there. but none the less i was still a wa*ker.

ATM im running my 1.5mile run with sn ex ta squade if you would call him that ( hes done 2tours of iraq and 1 of afghan) good lad if you ask me a very at that.

anyways i want to ge3t back into the army done the barb ect but had swine flue b4 i had my run(failed it of course).

getting back on the road know and i want to blow everyone away running wise lol.

what would your advise be. would love to know as i need to smash everyone else with alott of walt going along the way hahah.

lemonkettaz said:
What sort of interval training do you do?

I'm currently doing.

Monday 4mile

Wednesday 1.5 fast, then 3mile

Friday 1.5 fast, then 3mile.

What i did tonight though was the 1.5 fast, then a comfortable 3mile but whilst doing the 3mile I put in sprinting between lamp posts and jogging past from lamp post to lamp post and repeating that 5 times.

I've taken my 1.5mile run time from 10:53 to 9:41 but I want to get early 9mins possibly 8:50s..

Any tips
Personally I can never understand how someone with the fitness levels to a fast 1.5 miles, then a 3 miler straight afterwards with sprints involved, can't run a 1.5 miler in less than 9 mins. Doesn't add up in my eyes, I've seen a few people say similar things (I run 5 milers every other day yeah, my 1.5 miler at the moment is 10:15 im trying to get it down ect. ect.)

Either
1. Your lying about the distances you run, or
2. Your not trying hard enough on the 1.5 mile run

Sorry to be harsh and if I'm wrong fair enough, but it never seems right when people have posts like this..

GrizzlyPanda said:
AFC_1992 said:
T/J/LeGg said:

Well this is what I do

Friday- same as Monday

Well 'darling' I wouldn't know exactly but this is the programme my new recruiter has given me, I didn't ask any questions about the rest period just got on with it :lol:

T/J/LeGg said:
i route out what i would say( mistake for my spelling not the best). i did a huge mong up of coming out when i was 17 fu** up if you ask me but i wish the right officer would of been there. but none the less i was still a wa*ker.

ATM im running my 1.5mile run with sn ex ta squade if you would call him that ( hes done 2tours of iraq and 1 of afghan) good lad if you ask me a very at that.

anyways i want to ge3t back into the army done the barb ect but had swine flue b4 i had my run(failed it of course).

getting back on the road know and i want to blow everyone away running wise lol.

what would your advise be. would love to know as i need to smash everyone else with alott of walt going along the way hahah.
Coming out when u were 17!!!!!
U were hardly in!!!
I would say that u should aim not for 10 mins 30, but 10 mins as the PFA is the BASIC level required of any soldier. If u r struggling to get 10 mins 30, u r gonna suffer. U must know this as an ex or not??

T/J/LeGg said:
thanks AFC_1992 will start that on monday and have the weekend as a rest. what time you getting your time down to.
If you mean time, you mean my 1.5 mile run. Well I want to get it down to 8 minutes, well thats my goal, currently on 9.30 now. Want to join the Paras so 8 minutes would be a good start. When I run my 1.5 run I usually do a fast pace jog for a mile and run the rest with a sprint. The interval training helps you with a faster pace jog and the all important sprint.

AFC_1992 said:
Well 'darling' I wouldn't know exactly but this is the programme my new recruiter has given me, I didn't ask any questions about the rest period just got on with it :lol:
Oh no you didn't you rested, now get off your arrse and get running.

davenport said:
AFC_1992 said:
Oh no you didn't you rested, now get off your arrse and get running.[/quote]

You caught me out :shakefist: how did you know :?

AFC_1992 said:
GrizzlyPanda said:
AFC_1992 said:
T/J/LeGg said:

Well this is what I do

Friday- same as Monday

So you don't have a clue but you're happy to throw it out in an authorative manner? Not to mention you're using the excuse of it being your recruiter and an authority figure making it justified.

GrizzlyPanda said:
AFC_1992 said:
GrizzlyPanda said:
AFC_1992 said:
T/J/LeGg said:

Well this is what I do

Friday- same as Monday

So you don't have a clue but you're happy to throw it out in an authorative manner? Not to mention you're using the excuse of it being your recruiter and an authority figure making it justified.
Well if you put it like that then no, obviously not asking questions about the rest period was not the brightest choice but I trust him, I don't see why you are getting annoyed about it, he asked a question and I answered it even in your mind wasn't perfect but we are not all perfect like you. How am I using this as an excuse...an excuse for what? I can just look among the internet to see why you body needs rest, to be honest I'll look right now.

AFC_1992 said:
GrizzlyPanda said:
AFC_1992 said:
GrizzlyPanda said:
AFC_1992 said:
T/J/LeGg said:

Well this is what I do

Friday- same as Monday

Well if you put it like that then no, obviously not asking questions about the rest period was not the brightest choice but I trust him, I don't see why you are getting annoyed about it, he asked a question and I answered it even in your mind wasn't perfect but we are not all perfect like you. How am I using this as an excuse...an excuse for what? I can just look among the internet to see why you body needs rest, to be honest I'll look right now.
My bold. Between the people saying a week of rest, people saying no rest days, and everyone in between. Good luck with that.

P.S the issue was you not only answered a question you didn't know the actual answer to, you answered in an authorative manner - compiled by the fact he jumped right on your game. You then topped it with rocking up with that your recruiter gave it to you as justification for its worth.

Latest Threads