Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by English_Pidgeon, Jul 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm trying to find out some of my family history.
    I had a great grandfather in the British army during WWI but my family really don't give a s*** and don't know what regiment he was in, where he served or when he joined but I know he was mentioned in despatches but he has a very common name (Smith!).
    Even more harmful to my mental health is thought of researching my other great grandfather in WWI who was Polish but became a guardsman in the Austro-Hungarian army. As that empire no longer exists I don't have a clue about where to start!
  2. Pidgeon, do you have any other information on him? First name, medals, army service number?
  3. I know he had medals but bloody family sold them long ago, don't know service number but first name was Archibald.
    Thanks for replying.
  4. EP, if you get hold of the Royal British Legion site or the War Graves Commission web sites they should be able to help. They have a series of questions that will hopefully lead you to the answers you are after. Once you have a regimental number all other enquiries will be a lot easier.

You should then be able to find out where he fought and if you wish get hold of replica medals that he would have received.

hope this helps.
  5. Thanks for the help mates. Still need help finding about the Polish fellow though.
  6. Sorry, but you have no chance with him. :)