Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Helsboy, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right... My son has passed all exams.. Got is offer through... Got the date to leave for Pirbright... Got a phone call today telling him its been deferred for 6 months because of a DR and speeding fine on his licence.. Even though he told the recruitment officer at the beginning and they said it didn't matter!!! The DR about three years ago and the same with the speeding fine... Both paid up.. He didn't know he was to declare them on the criminal convictions form, as they are road traffic related!!! Is there anything we can do.. He was supposed to do the Oath of Allegiance on Thursday...... He is now absolutely gutted, plus no job as he gave that up last week.... Feel like he's been shat on.....
  2. Oh and he got 0.5 % under an A for his physical in edinburgh.....
  3. This is going to go tits up when the answer to that one comes up.
  4. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

Isn't that a person who works in a hospital to make you better, or a suzuki motorcycle?
  5. DR - drink driving, he was a numpty!! Lost his licence for a yr but now has it back, that was 3 yrs ago....
  6. Although you're technically correct that Drink Driving is a "motoring offence" it's a little more serious than 3 points for speeding on the A303.

You're son is a mong.
  7. What he said^^^
  8. DR is taken quite seriously(rightly so) from a recruitment perspective. With the way things are now the Army can afford to be more selective and even if your son is a good lad with his 5% below an A grade, there are bound to be applicants who are just as good without the DR against their name.

Everybody makes mistakes in life and I hope he manages to get his job back. I'm sure you have already given him a good beating for drink driving and now he just has to accept that a 6 month deferral is better than a blatant no.

Kids eh, who'd 'av 'em.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DR10 under the Rehabilitation Of Offenders Act 1974 is not "spent" for a period of 5 years and is not eligible for removal from the licence until 11 YEARS after conviction - the 3 points are usually removed after 3 years depending on how they were achieved. Incidentally a civil offence registered on the Regimental Conduct sheet is never removed even though it may be "spent" in civvy law circles - Hope he manages to get a Reg conduct sheet eventually - bad drills!
  10. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

So by that logic you are assuming that no criminal acts can be committed whilst driving? Good luck to him, but I hope he's learned a lesson there!
  11. He made his mistake and is paying for it..... Your a twat!!! Don't judge someone you don't know....yes he was stupid and believe me I balled him out, don't condone what he did, but when he told the recruitment officer at the beginning that he had a drink driving offence and they say that's fine you dont need worry about that, as he did with the speeding offence also, you would think it was ok.... Grrrrrrrr
  12. Did you just say Grrrrrrr?! As an adult? Don't get me wrong I would be keen to protect the internet image of my kids too but Grrrr?!

Welcome to Arse, It's all downhill from here.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Have had a call from said recruitment office ... And spoke at length to them.... He has been deferred for 6 months and has to do the whole process again, but can't apply for anything that needs an HGV licence.... What jobs don't need an HGV apart from paper pushing jobs (sorry if I offend anyone for job description!!)
  14. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

Mate, unless you get something like that in writing, in triplicate and signed in unicorn blood I wouldn't ever take it for granted that it's correct. People will say anything, but unless they're willing to commit to it in writing, take it with a pinch of salt. I do understand how frustrating that is though, a relative went through the exact same scenario when applying for the police force. He succeeded in the end!
  15. Unfortunately some recruitment staff dont have a scooby when it comes to the law - in all not their fault and a problem that should be addressed - you could write a letter to the AG on this for review but I think it will be backs to the wall
    the message is drink driving seriously fucks you up in many ways, not least physically.
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.