Help!

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by RustyH, Aug 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok I had shoulder surgery yesterday and while coming round from the general anaesthetic I received a text from this number 07786 200012 offering money because of my accident. The problem is I replied yes without really considering the implications. Does anyone have any idea who the number belongs too? I've tried phoning but that didn't work.

I don't particularly want to take money from a cash strapped army for what was an unavoidable accident especially as the care I've received has been brilliant.
    Cheers
    RustyH

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Was this the message:
    If so it's a phishing one.
    If they contact you again, delete it.
    As for your accident, if your entitled to a claim under the AFCS you don't need a bunch like this taking a skim off the top to help you do it.

3. It appears to be a scam. I have had two similar messages in the last week, don't know the number they were from, as I simply deleted them. The website WhoCallsMe.com has had a flurry of posts in the last week regarding this number. The text appears to be the same for everyone -

"FREEMSG: Our records indicate you may be entitled to 3750 pounds for the Accident you had.
    To claim for free reply with YES to this msg. To opt out text STOP."

Stand by for more incoming shite.

4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I'll add.
    The fact that you were in hospital when the text came is pure coincidence.
    They use a shotgun method of sending them out. Thousands of random numbers hoping one will hit something.

5. Cheers for the quick response I'll delete it post haste!

6. Save the number on your phone. Give it a name like 'Scammers' or 'IGNORE THIS' or whatever you feel will give you sufficient heads-up next time.

7. also contact your service provider and block it before you recieve hundreds of premium text's charged to you