Discussion in 'DIY' started by DiDi, Apr 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. help

    i8 bought some drill bits for my drill got them home and all the words are in another language, i know some are for wood and some are for walls (?) so can someone tell me what the words are




    This is not a wah i have never had to use a drill before or the different bits that come with it.

    only sensible answers please

    Thanks chaps and anyladies who know the answer
  2. I expect the black ones are wood and the silver ones are masonry.

    is usually the case.
  3. Type "translate stahl" into google

    you get this:

    Translation for stahl: German » English stahl - steel

    repeat process for other words

  4. It's in Boxhead,

    Stahl = Metal

    Stein = Stone

    Holz = Wood
  5. 3 types ,
    black , silver with a red tip and black but with silver sort of running around it
  8. sorry again which one would i use for plastic (it is a big plastic tub that i want to put drainage holes in for some plants
  9. Wood or steel doesn't make any real difference.

    The masonary bits will just make a mess.
  10. The wood ones will make a neater hole, if that is important
  11. The black ones are for drilling metal, and should be made of High Speed Steel. The Silver ones with red tips are Tungsten Carbide (it's just the tips which are Tungsten Carbide) and are usually referred to as masonry drills (though to be pedantic, the machine is the drill, the twisty metal part is a drill bit) The black and silver ones are for wood. They usually have a little point on the end to allow them to be more accurately positioned before you commence drilling. The silver running around them are the sharp edges of the flutes which act as reams to prevent snagging of the wood as the bit passes through it.

    Masonry bits are normally used on masonry (NSS!) with the hammer feature in use, but may also be used on glass or ceramics, though ensure that hammer is not selected, as that will just break whatever it is you are drilling. Also, if you are drilling glass or ceramics, score the centre point before you start, or the bit will wander, and do not use undue pressure, just let the bit do the work.

    If you get the chance, buy some Titanium Nitride (TiN) bits. They retain their sharpness longer than HSS, and will perform much better, particularly in the absence of any cutting fluid. They are a gold colour, and are relatively inexpensive.

    As for your plant pots, due to the shape of the leading edge of the wood bits and the thinness of the material, they can 'grab' the plastic as you go through. Best to use the HSS bits, starting with a small one to drill a pilot hole, and then increasing the size in stages until you reach the size you want. You may also want to place your pot on a wooden block, and drill down into the wood to save you suddenly breaking through.

    Edited twice, once because the plant pot wasn't mentioned when I started, and once due to typos.
  12. Quit now. Get a bloke to do it. You know it makes sense.
  13. I bet the big plastic tub is rather nervous at the moment.