Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys. My friend went to selection for infantry yesterday, passed everything to a high standard but when asked if he'd been in trouble with police in his final interview, he told them he was convicted for possesion of a controlled substance with intent to supply (cannabis). Now this happend 6 years ago when he was 16 and obviously he was a minor (does that count for anything?) He was convicted but didn't serve any time, probation order and fines I think. Can he appeal against the decision at selection, as he has his heart set on career in the army and is regretfull for what can only be described as youthfull stupidty!!! Can any one shed any light on this or offer any help as I start Basic training on sunday and won't be able to help him for a while.

Cheers, Luke

2. He needs to speak to his ACIO about it, did he tell them about it before going to ADSC? (If not then, he's to blame, they could have advised him on it before hand) and the appeal process, if there is one and if they think that it has any chance of succeeding.

Im not sure what the regs are on spent and unspent convictions for Intent to Supply, but i doubt that he will be allowed to join.

3. Thanks, thought that might be the case! The thing was, he did tell them in the careers office and they said "we havnt seen that mate if you want to join" He's not the brightest and wouldnt of thought to ask about appealing! why he told them at ADSC I have no idea. Am propper gutted for him and trying everything I can to help

4. Ah right. In that case i think he's scuppered. Sorry!

5. id agree with hilldweller on this one mate, my AFCO advisor told em a story about a fella who was found to be using drugs at basic, kicked out then reapplied 10 years later (my advisor did his app) after he'd sent it off the ADSC they phoned my advisor and bollocked him for even putting the app through, the army has ZERO tolerance on drugs and its a shame for your mate he let it slip at selection as he was practically at basic :(

From the army website:

Do You Have a Criminal Conviction?
    When joining the Army you are required to give details of any civil convictions you have which are considered 'unspent' under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. You are, for the most part, entitled to withhold details about those convictions considered 'spent', however, there are exceptions to this under the Act. If you are interested in employment in the Army Medical Services, as an administrator with the Adjutant General's Corps or other designated sensitive employments, you will be required to declare all 'spent' convictions.

The idea is to give those who have been convicted of offences a chance to live them down. This means that if a certain period of time has passed since you were convicted, you can fill in your application as if the offence, conviction and sentence had never taken place. In the case of the exceptions to the Act mentioned above, it is important for us to have a full understanding of your background if you are going to work with children and vulnerable adults as well as working with sensitive information.

Be honest with us about your past. Remember, past convictions, 'spent' or 'unspent' will not necessarily debar you from entry into the Armed Forces. But also remember, any undisclosed convictions may make you liable to prosecution.

Criminal Conviction details civil Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

It was a spent conviction therefore he didnt have to mention it :(

6. I doesnt matter PT the chap was basically a Drug Dealer and that is a big no no, the worst thing he could have said was that to the officer taking his interview. But how can he appeal, "once I was a drug dealer but im alright now" is the very thing that as PT says can have you out of the Army in a shot. Tell him to get to college and choose some other career.

7. A Conviction of possession with intent to supply is a permanent ban from joining the Forces :)

Spent or not, with the disclosure system we are now using, we would have found out at some point and given him the boot.

8. There's a difference between childish mistakes and selling drugs.

9. any involvement in illegal substances not just the usaul drugs steriods included on your record the army will just turn you away and worse if theres any detected in your system after your in or during training youll get discharged and speaking to my AFCO 99/100 civialian employers wont employ you after youve been binned from the forces.

so yeah he was young but he was still dealing so i know its harsh but the only person he can blame is himself