Help with Uni course work - Homosexuality and Army

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by thistleqa, Jan 16, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :D Hi, I am an ex QA, and am currently in my last year at Uni, after seeing many friends of mine driven out of Army in the early 90's, I am curious as to whether the current change in Policy has made it more acceptable for soldiers to come out as being gay and whether or not 'straight' soldiers think the new policy (allowed to serve) actually works? I know this subject has probablly been done to death, but I'd love it if you could all help a fellow ex soldier to get response for this course work I am doing. Cheers to anyone who responds. :p
  2. I've worked with both gay and lesbian (is their a difference? (apart from the sexes I mean)) soldiers and in all cases I knew or suspected their sexual orientation. Not once did this affest their performance or make people care. The only ones I saw booted out were the ones who were quite open about their sexuality and resented that fact they could not be as open as they liked.
    Me? I'm in favour of a don't ask, don't tell policy.
  3. Of course there is a difference.

Gays are vile minging creatures that should be put to death after a lengthy torture. They invade each others claypits and are a danger to us handsome chaps safety when drunk.... I am in fear of falling drunk into a gutter to awake to find a cackpipe cosmonaut drilling my apple fritter.

Lesbians (fit ones) are all ok in my book so long as they capture everything on film and occasionally share in a little FFM

The big fat minging Dykes should be put to death alongside the snappers as mentioned in the first paragraph.

I'm not predjudice to any gay men, I despise them all equally :D

I think this thread has already been done and lurks somewhere in lonely hearts..........

Is this uphill gardening, trump pusher a member of the site?

Did you stumble upon the site after typing 'Arse' for another reason?

Hope this helps :D :D :D
  4. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

What a tolerant man you are MDN. :D

5. No toleration for the buggers myself. I had a girfriend at Wilton once who was hounded, humiliated and generally given an extremely bad time by the rest of her barrack room as she was Normal and refused to join in with their games. They gave her such a hard time she felt that her only recourse was to leave the Army; going through the chain of command would have been a complete waste of time, for the obvious reason.

"Toleration". Balls.
  6. Hey MDN get off that fence - careful or young Harry will be asking you for advice on dress and diplomacy :p
  7. EO policys are all fine and dandy and keep prople like the CRE and Stonewall off our backs. They do wonders to dispel any hint of "institutional homophobia" but...

In the barrack blocks and dormitories anybody "different" is likely to be getting some unwelcome attention. Now; different may be straight in a gay block or vice versa, different may be coming from England when the rest of your regiment comes frae Perth, either way different ain't good and never will be.

Try being teetotal at a Regimental dinner and just drop in that your religon forbids alcohol, and see how hard it is to be different.

I'm different, how about you?
  8. Gunner, the day I bow and scrape and conform, especially for ther benefit of journos will be the day I raise a Japanese flag in the garden and salute it.

You've got more chance of platting snot.

i bet your experience of Journalism extends to visiting the corner shop and paying the papers :D
  9. thistleqa, you have certainly come to the right place to find out about gays in the military.
  10. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

Whos to say :D
  11. Good call GQ - I smell the disgusting sort of gutter journo who will crow with delight when all and sundry inform his grubby little poll with their answers!

It must be slow news day on the Street of Shame. I can't believe that the furore over the tsunami has already died down, or that Feldwebel Harry is no longer a surefire paper-seller, or that....hang on...this is Fleet Street after all! :D
  12. :( In response to the Journo Alert. I just wanted to let you know that I am not a journalist, I am who I say I am, I served in the QA's from 1988 until 1995 when I left as I was going to be sent to Bosnia and I was a mum, therefore did the sensible thing and got out (Another debate I am sure!!). I know this is a sensitive subject but it is one that I am really interested in. But I understand if you are suspiscious of who I am. Your choice.
  13. And the first six digits of your service number are.....?
  14. So you have an email address that i, as a mod, could check with the admins..... :roll:
  15. And if you are genuine , then of course you'll check in on the Medical Forum. After all, considering the time you say you left, there are plenty of people around that'll probably know and vouch for you Thistle.

Obviously with a subject this sensitive , we're concerned you are who you say you are . After all, it wouldn't be the first time on Arrse that someone masqueraded as someone else, you don't even have to look very far to spot it sometimes :roll:

MDN , what was the name of that bloke who fancied you? :D He could help Thistle in her research 8O