Help with tracing a colleague's grandfather's war service 1940-45

dockers

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
A colleague at work (ex RN) is trying to trace anything about her Grandfather. I know that we can request his records from MoD, but she doesn't have a date of birth or service number (or regiment) to begin with.

Donald Pearson Armitage from London.
In the Army from 1940-1945
He has the following medals:
1939-1945 Star
Africa Star 1st Army
Italy Star
War Medal 1939-1945

Can anyone give me any pointers to start looking?

A colleague at work (ex RN) is trying to trace anything about her Grandfather. I know that we can request his records from MoD, but she doesn't have a date of birth or service number (or regiment) to begin with.

1939-1945 Star
Africa Star 1st Army
Italy Star
War Medal 1939-1945

Army record office, Glasgow, start there........ Or phone this number 0345.600.9663 the army personal helpdesk.

2000AD

Old-Salt
Interesting, pretty much the same grop of medals as my Grandfather
Good luck with your search for info.

slick

LE

1939-1945 Star
Africa Star 1st Army
Italy Star
War Medal 1939-1945

If you can find someone with an Ancestry account then you could search the 1939 census/electoral rolls which would give his age and you could work out a rough birth date.
There is a Donald Pearson Armitage on there who was born in Epsom Surrey in Jan 1908. Whether that is your man who knows ?
The search form on the gov website mentions that you service number and/ or date of birth required, so you could get away with one or the other
Have you got any of his medals, I`m wondering if his details would be on the reverse of the 39-45 star ?
Here`s the link for the forms if you don`t already have it.... Get a copy of military service records

It's all here:
I've used the procedure myself and it worked well. Delay awaiting records may vary. Even though the service number and DOB are not known in this case, I think the records people would manage to identify the individual with the full name, place of birth and the list of theatres served. But you may be able to obtain the service number and/or DOB by one of the other means suggested.

Last edited:

dockers

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
It's all here:
I've used the procedure myself and it worked well. Delay awaiting records may vary. Even though the service number and DOB are not known in this case, I think the records people would manage to identify the individual with the full name, place of birth and the list of theatres served. But you may be able to obtain the service number and/or DOB by one of the other means suggested.
Thank you.

Latest Threads