Help with the mother!

Discussion in 'The Other Half' started by Quox, Feb 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all, this is probably in the wrong place but anyway... here goes...

Im in a nasty situation. I have Joined the Territorial Army and passed selection. My mother/sister are not so happy for me! My mother has even gone to say "she would not let me be deployed" and etc...

A potential factor for her reaction is because my old man passed away in January 2012.

What I would like is some advice on how to calm her down, to let her see the army is not a death sentence.
    Ive tried going to the local AFCO and all I got was a shitty booklet which was probably glanced at and then destroyed!

Can anyone relay some stories on how you got your family to "let you go" to the Army?

Many thanks for replys!

2. First question, how old are you?

How exactly is your mother planning to "not let you deploy"?

Sent by carrier pigeon using Speckled Jim
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Are you over 18, if so it's your life. Send pics of sister asap.
    • Like Like x 5
  4. Haha My sister is camera shy to the point where she WILL destroy your phone / camera if you take a photo of her! ;)

Im 22, and she wouldn't really be able to stop me from being deployed... but ill feel bad and shit... as I will potentially be leaving her home alone.

Lifes a bitch ! >.<
  5. You're TA, you aren't going anywhere. Herrick will be over before you complete training.

Frankly a bloke who can't take pictures of his sister isn't going to be much use anyway.
    • Like Like x 5
  6. I suspect you are female, if so I appreciate your concern for your mother.

If you are a bloke and living at home with your mother, it is not good for either of you!
    • Like Like x 2
  7. She must sleep, that's your chance.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. What you need is something to distract you mother - to take her mind of her son's predicament, if you will.

Although I'm 47 I keep getting the glad eye from 50 year old women. If your mother scrubs well then I'm not fussy.

With all due respect...
  9. [​IMG]

Just fix your mum like Normski Bates did.

Job jobbed.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

mum needs to get used to it at some point otherwise unless you want to end up keeping her she wont stand on her own two feet and move on.

she'll get used to it as you pop off on all those weekends, get her bulling your boots for you.
  11. Ha! Not a chance in hell mate ;P
  12. What you need is a note. Here's mine from 1975:

Mam's note 001.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Dont push her into believing what you want her to believe, give her time and she'll come round when she sees how much you enjoy it. Good luck
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Translation- English to English

To the O.C. B.Coy
    Dear Sir,
    I hereby hold you
    responsible for the health and safety
    of my son Pimh.

I don't object to him doing
    his action man stuff as long
    as he's enjoying it.

The minute he gets tired
    and it ceases to be a