Help with starting up running again

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by re-stilly, Oct 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need, and I mean really need to start running again. I am mid-forties and haven't run for a while but am after a training program to get me going again. Being a bit mutton I can't use an i-pod etc. so need a written one. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Cheers

2. In my opinion mate, dont worry to much about a program at the moment, until youve got back into the swing of things.

After your first few runs, you will really feel the effect of DOMS (delayed on-set muscle soreness) and trying to stick to a program at this time may prove difficult.

Id suggest training 2 days on - 1 day off and just listen to your body. Once the first month has passed and your body is accustomed to fitness again, then build a structured fitness program around your goals.

Also make sure your diet is squared away, with good quality complex carbs, protein, EFA's and plenty of water.

3. Cheers Spenny

I have been on a diet for the last few weeks to start the weight loss and it seems to be going quite well, I will give that a go starting tonight.

Woke up with the realisation that bugger I'm past forty and if I want to see 50 I need to get my arrse in gear.

4. "Couch to 5k" program, as mentioned here

Could be useful as it's not too taxing at all to start off with, and if you add or takeaway running times depending on how you are doing, it might be just enough structure for you.

5. Problem with that is I am a bit deaf so I-pods and the like are a bit wasted on me :D

Spenny did what you suggested this week, everything seems OK except top of the thighs ache like buggery.

Thanks for the RW link will have a look at that as well.

6. Good news mate.

Just keep listening to your body and work hard. If your legs are sore and you were planning a run, change it to an upper body gym session, or a swim instead. Mix it up and build that all round fitness.

If you trying to lose weight, gym work will be a great help too.

7. Buy some good running shoes. Go to a running shop (just google it) and they will help you select some that suit your feet and gait. Very important to avoid injury as I found.

8. My bold: TURN IT UP A BIT/ GET SOME NEW BATTERIES GRANDAD :lol: As a 'gentleman' of advancing years myself, the advice I would give is as above. Start easy, build in rest periods and mix up the training. However, I would strongly suggest a heart rate monitor at least and, if you don't like running to music, then Nike do a wrist band pace monitor that works well www.nikeplus.com.

A heart rate monitor will allow you a greater range of training options and can help prevent over-training/ ensure you train to the correct levels (it beeps at you if you are slacking! :wink: ) Not the same as a good bit of verbal 'encouragement' from a PTI but if you have self discipline it seems to work nearly as well 8) Good luck

9. Two of the best tips anyone can give when starting up fitness training from a long break.

Hardest part of fitness is getting your training gear on at the start...of course tell that to the guy who is vomitting at the end of a marathon and you're likely to get felled ! :)

10. Good advice!

Buying the right running shoes for your gait can save a lot of problems later on as can keeping off roads and pavements where possible, especially if you are overweight or suffer easily from impact injuries. Don't feel you need to run just because you are supposed to on that day. As Spenny says, the best thing you can do to begin with is listen to your body (unless you're a complete lazy fcuker)!

11. Couldnt agree more. From my personal experience, I suffered really badly from shin splints when I went back to training after an injury that had me out for a few years.

I was naturally fit which was an advantage, but my training was so limited because I needed a lot of rest to avoid permemant injury.

As Fally suggested, buying the correct running shoes for your gait and for me personally, trail and error with different insoles too, has made the world of difference.