• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Help with simple Excel formula

I have very little experience with Excel, and need help with what's probably a very simple formula.
What I'm looking for is a formula, that will add one to the next column (eg. c2=b2+1), but with a maximum number of 10 before starting at one again (i.e L2=1 rather than 11).

Anyone able to help?

T_T

I have very little experience with Excel, and need help with what's probably a very simple formula.
What I'm looking for is a formula, that will add one to the next column (eg. c2=b2+1), but with a maximum number of 10 before starting at one again (i.e L2=1 rather than 11).

Anyone able to help?

T_T
=mod(b2+1,11)

Do what you want?

Actually, you might want:

=mod(b2,10)+1

Last edited:
I'm interested in understanding WHY that would be useful?
Also useful for packing/distribution problems. If a box has a capacity of 10 thingumajigs; once it gets full you need to start another box. Or for cutting stock to length. Say you can easily buy wood in 8' lengths. You're making a shed ( :) ). The need is for 34 pieces, each 11 inches long. How many 8' lengths needed? The answer is not 11*34/96.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Anyone able to help?

T_T
Just treat it in the same way as you do with any new gadget or gizmo that you get....

...just get your grand kids to show you how it is done! :bigsmurf:

Doesn't always work, Auld-Yin. I work with Excel pretty much every day & reckon myself pretty competent.

Yesterday MasterPlume came in and announced he would show me something he had learnt at School which I wouldn't know. Intrigued, I said show me.

Thankfully I now know how to make the background of a worksheet an image from my pictures library. Highly useful.

Mind you perhaps I should get one of me looking menacing with an M203 or atop my panzer and set this on my next paper to the Board suggesting I'm really due a pay rise, they've ignored all the others...

=mod(b2+1,11)

Do what you want?

Actually, you might want:

=mod(b2,10)+1
Fantastic! Number two is exactly what I was after. Thanks a lot for the help.

Doesn't always work, Auld-Yin. I work with Excel pretty much every day & reckon myself pretty competent.

Yesterday MasterPlume came in and announced he would show me something he had learnt at School which I wouldn't know. Intrigued, I said show me.

Thankfully I now know how to make the background of a worksheet an image from my pictures library. Highly useful.

Mind you perhaps I should get one of me looking menacing with an M203 or atop my panzer and set this on my next paper to the Board suggesting I'm really due a pay rise, they've ignored all the others...
It's quite nice to take a screen shot of a sheet, then edit it and paste as the background on a blank sheet. Send it to your boss with a note to say 'if you change the number in B2, you can see the projections for the next x months' or similar. Preferably on a friday when you're going off for a couple of weeks :)

It's quite nice to take a screen shot of a sheet, then edit it and paste as the background on a blank sheet. Send it to your boss with a note to say 'if you change the number in B2, you can see the projections for the next x months' or similar. Preferably on a friday when you're going off for a couple of weeks :)
That is genius...

Hee Hee

There is huge fun to be had with autocorrect and it's surprising how many people don't get what's going on. Especially if you can get into someone's Outlook.

'Hi Babe...' becomes 'Hi Bitch...'