Help With Ribbon Identification

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by RP578, Dec 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

This uniform belonged to a full Colonel, possibly late of a Welsh regiment going by the dragon on the buttons. I've been asked to ID the ribbon rack, but am drawing a blank on the last two which look like Colonial long service types.

So far have Order of the British Empire, Burma Star, Defence Medal, War Medal, UN Medal UNFICYP. Anybody able to help?

Attached Files:

• vwv3.jpg
      File size:
      7.5 KB
  2. Second from last is the Army Emergency Reserve Decoration the last one looks like the zimbabwe independance medal but there is no yellow in it it could be a colonial independance medal of some kind
  3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Good call!

The last one's a real bugger. Initially thought it was an Ulster connected award, but a cursory trawl through a range of Independence Medals hasn't flagged anything either.
  4. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

Malawi Republic Medal 1966 ?

The description reads - "Instituted in 1966 to mark the establishment of the Republic of Malawi."
  5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Good man!

Still it makes you wonder about this Colonel's service. He didn't pick up an Independence Medal so wasn't there a couple of years previously. As it was post-Independence would a British Officer have been eligible as some sort attache or BATT type?

Much thanks Bound Apprentice and Chimurenga!
  6. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

RX'ed and replied to your PM - see pic of button below. Very similar to The Buffs' dragon except for the absence of the title scroll underneath.

Attached Files:

• vwv4.jpg
      File size:
      20.5 KB
  7. I looked at the Malawi Independance Medal but did not have a picture of the republic medal the ribbons are very similar
  8. Yes, as Malawi was briefly a Commonwealth dominion before the republic declaration. The Republic Medal was sort of a post-independence independence medal, so I've been told.
  9. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

The Republic Medal was to celebrate the founding of the one party state within Malawi.
  10. Looks French to me; possibly for Togo.
  11. I wonder why no '39-45 Star?
  12. Yes and a Full Colonel wearing staybright buttons?
  13. less than 6 months in burma before the end of the war so he hadnt earnt the 39-45 star which means he had a UK based job till 1945 or he was in an area that didnt count as an op theater and didnt qualify for any of the one day criteria for the 39-45 star like being at dunkirk or in norway or on a commando raid
  14. Hong Kong Medal? scrap that, wrong shade of blue
  15. It required 180 days overseas service, the Burma Star only 1. Mayhap he was a youngster and posted out in mid-45?