Help with researching Grandfathers WW1 History

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by NigelDavidWood, Nov 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, via Google search I turned up your forum and assistance provided to member "Flying_Wang" on his G. Grandfather. I was hoping someone could help with decoding my Grandfathers medal rolls index and service record. I believe I've got the basic details of the regiments he was in, but want to find out what the other details on the documents mean. For example his posting and transfer history and what battles he would have been involved in. e.g. on the medals index it says "Clasp 46094 'Bl of R' I.V. 1481/C. d/21.2.22"

He seems to have a lot in common with "Flying_Wangs" G. Grandfather. I believe he was one of the Old Contemptibles and got the Mons Star and Clasp in the 1914 expeditionary force to France. Later on it looks like he was transferred to the Tank Corps and then later became part of Machine Gun Corps.

He returned his medals (I think in protest) at not getting a war pension. It looks like they were scrapped.

Maybe there is someone in the Essex/Herts/Cambridgeshire area who I could talk to on phone or meet up with?

Attached Index Card & 6 pages from Service History so you can see what I have.

Many Thanks

Attached Files:

2. I'm not certain that your grandfather would count as one of The Old Contemptibles as that name was really only those of the original BEF that faced the Hun in August 1914.

Your grandfather was in the Yeomanry in 1914 and volunteered for transfer to 1st Bn, 5th London Regiment (Rifles) in September 1914. He then went to France with that Bn on 4.11.14 (thereby becoming eligible for the 1914 Star).

Your best bet is to sign up with:

Great War Forum

You will get much better help there.
  3. Thanks for help
  4. If he is awarded a 1914 Mons star he would have been entitled to call himself an "Old Contemptable". The records show him transferring back to the Suffolk Yeomanry in August 1915.

He seems to have been wounded in 1918 and evacuated to no 16 USA Hospital

1/5th Londons took over a section of Ploegsteert Wood and dug the line known as "Bunhill Row". They heavily involved in 2nd Ypres, losing at least 143 casualties and suffered heavily enough to be merged with two other London TA Battalions. If you would like to read about the unit in this battle try "Magnificent but Not war" by John Dixon which has quite a few quotes by members of the battalion.