Help with Repro Rolo

Koreyyy1

Swinger
Hi everyone, just came into "possession" of a 1989 Ration GS Arctic Menu D, My friend in the USA runs a museum and bought it and had it shipped to me, snack portion was ruined and missing some stuff so i am clearing it up. The rolos arent saveable in any capacity. They are sticky and the wrappers are saturated/soggy.

Ive seen some repro 1980s rolos in GS's before, anyone happen to have one of these? Ive attached some pictures. These are the ones with arabic but just needs to be an 80s rolo wrapper.

Top 2 images are mine, bottom is a repro rolo ive seen

Thanks
Koreyyy1

The chocy goodies used to get swapped out regularly in ration packs as a maintenance thing. We had our shop discretely tucked away, in a shed, in a supply depot, had our own portacabin accomodation in their compound, and used their bar too. I got to know the blokes quite well (free steaks ;)) and every five, or six months they would have to work late to change out chocy ration components from the long term storage rat packs. The packs would get sampled every so often and if a mouldy chocy bar, or sweeties were found they would have to: Open, remove item, replace item, re-seal anything up to about 10,000 rat packs.

So there would regularly be variances from what was considered to be ex-factory.

Just download a decent image, find use some 90gsm, or 110gsm paper and get access to a superb quality inkjet printer.

Koreyyy1

Swinger
There is an image of the wrapper on this site.... Link
Could you make your own packs up ?
Yeah that was the idea, was just looking for as HD of a wrapper as possible
The chocy goodies used to get swapped out regularly in ration packs as a maintenance thing. We had our shop discretely tucked away, in a shed, in a supply depot, had our own portacabin accomodation in their compound, and used their bar too. I got to know the blokes quite well (free steaks ;)) and every five, or six months they would have to work late to change out chocy ration components from the long term storage rat packs. The packs would get sampled every so often and if a mouldy chocy bar, or sweeties were found they would have to: Open, remove item, replace item, re-seal anything up to about 10,000 rat packs.

So there would regularly be variances from what was considered to be ex-factory.

Just download a decent image, find use some 90gsm, or 110gsm paper and get access to a superb quality inkjet printer.
As a ration collector ive never heard that before, thanks for the little insight!

As a ration collector ive never heard that before, thanks for the little insight!

Mars bars and rolos were the weak link in the rat pack - not tinned, packed in foil, boiled, pasteurised, dehydrated, or freeze dried.

Most blokes used to take out their own mars, snickers, and haribos. Personally the prospect of chewing on three year old chocy was not enticing - I used to bin mine, or come across as all magnanimous by giving it away to someone.

Ayatollah

Old-Salt
Hi everyone, just came into "possession" of a 1989 Ration GS Arctic Menu D, My friend in the USA runs a museum and bought it and had it shipped to me, snack portion was ruined and missing some stuff so i am clearing it up. The rolos arent saveable in any capacity. They are sticky and the wrappers are saturated/soggy.

Ive seen some repro 1980s rolos in GS's before, anyone happen to have one of these? Ive attached some pictures. These are the ones with arabic but just needs to be an 80s rolo wrapper.

Top 2 images are mine, bottom is a repro rolo ive seen

Thanks
Koreyyy1

A good print shop should be able to reproduce them, providing there isn't a Copywrite on them!

slick

LE
Any good ?
rolo.png

Does Iran's claim against HMG for the money paid for the undelivered Chieftain/Shir 1 tanks include a consideration for the undelivered Rolos with the Farsi writing on the wrappers that subsequently appeared in our compo packs?

(I hope I haven't stirred up a hornets' nest here.)

Mars bars and rolos were the weak link in the rat pack - not tinned, packed in foil, boiled, pasteurised, dehydrated, or freeze dried.

Most blokes used to take out their own mars, snickers, and haribos. Personally the prospect of chewing on three year old chocy was not enticing - I used to bin mine, or come across as all magnanimous by giving it away to someone.
As a STAB in the 90s you often got compo on its very last legs, after the Regs passed on it. I remember ROLOs and other chocolate of that era being basically sugar and milk powder welded together. When you unwrapped the pack, it fell to dust.
Then you had the "Duncans of Scotland" bars, usually milk or sometimes with rice crispies in it, but always just that little bit past its best.

That's seriously retro. Not Nestle... or even Rowntree Mackintosh... but Mackintosh's.
Seems to be a colonial version, though, made under licence in Massachusetts rather than in Halifax.
The corn syrup gives it away as American. As an aside, until around 2005, there was a department store that used to sell tins of Quality Street for the Middle East markets, the design on the tins were old school and traditional, with very little of the purple colouring it's associated with now. It was also labelled as MacIntosh too, some markets Nestle aren't welcomed in, although the small print in the base did display the Nestle details.

Latest Threads