Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by brucewillis, Feb 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I try and open the FTRS page, Microsoft Office or something similar tries to install asking for a disc.

I keep clicking cancel and it goes away. Is this just my pc gone wrong or is it the same with everyone.

Please keep answers simple as I'm a bit numb with computer stuff!

2. Hi BW,

sorry to take a while, but I started reading it!

Mine just asks me if I want to open the excel spreadsheet, I click yes, and it opens. Do you have Excel installed on your PC?
  3. Yes I have excel, but it dosent ask me about that. It it tries to install Microsoft Office Premium 2000. Then goes through 3 million boxes which ends up asking for a disc.
  4. Maybe your version of excel is too old to read the spreadsheet so it's trying to install a newer version :?

I'm clutching at straws here :oops:
  5. It will be a problem your end, I use Office 07 and it's grand, so I assume it could be using a version of Exel not supported by your Office software.

Not that this post really helps, as it means you have to spend lots of cash to upgrade (don't do it until you speak to someone that actually knows what they're talking about!)
  6. If you haven't got access to the newer versions of Excel, go the Microsoft website and download the Excel Viewer. It should open in that without any dramas.
  7. The page opens ok, Microsoft Office Premium 2000 just tries to install itself.

Never used to have a problem with this, however its done the same thing when I tried to open an email attachment.

It is now obviously a problem at my end, sorry to waste every ones time. But thanks anyway.

Will try what you suggested when I get back after the weekend.