Help with prototype/trials respirators?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by DannyM, Apr 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that this is going to raise quite a few eyebrows and questions, and probably inspire quite a few jokes....

I'm currently working on a website, and possibly a book detailing the development of British NBC protective equipment, in particular respirators. I've managed to get my hands on quite a few interesting (to me at least) examples of prototype/trials respirators. However because of what they are, there's bugger all information out there regarding them. I know it’s a bit of a long shot, but if anyone on here has any further information about them, or knows anything that may be useful to me I would really appreciate it. Pictures are shown below....

From top to bottom: Service Respirator No.8, Service Respirator No.6 late trials version, early Service Respirator No.6 prototype?, Aircrew Respirator?

Thanks in advance

Danny

Attached Files:

2. Had my hands on a s6 with shaded lens, unfortunately that went missing on a house move. They did do those shaded. It had rubber straps as well. Have you looked on ebay? Also when the rave scene was on in full swing some of the drugged up idiots used to put a lump of vicks inside the mask whilst dancing.

Also check out a few fetish sites as well, was going to make a joke about a whip round, however being serious there are a lot on there that trade respirators.

It may sound weird to some, but the whole cold war NBC needs recording. Before its lost.

Well done.

3. Thanks for the little bit of information about the SR6 with the shaded eyepieces and rubber head harness, I've never heard of that variation before, that's the sort of things that I need to hear about. I check ebay fairly often, that's where the respirators shown above came from.... however its very rare that anything interesting shows up, I stupidly didn't bother bidding on a prototype S10 and a sand coloured S10 that were on a few years back.... I'm yet to see examples of either again.

And I agree very much about how it needs recording, hence the reason I'm doing this research and putting out there so anyone interested can access it.

Thanks

Danny

4. I don't suppose that it's occurred to you to just ring up Avon Protection and ask them? Like most defence companies I bet they have a museum of old products which they might be willing to show you.

5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I had a pair of green tinted stick on lenses for my S10. They were just thin plastic pieces of film that stuck on with static, with a small tab for removing them quickly.

I'm told they were for SF types who used stun grenades, the idea being you could chuck a grenade in and not be dazzled by the flash, then simply rip off the lenses and crack on. It's highly possible this is total bollox though, it's also possible that they weren't even for an S10 or any other respirator. The fit over the eye pieces wasn't perfect.

I stole them out of a box of NBC stuff at HMS Excellent because I thought they looked Gucci, also I liked the idea of having some shades for when we did NBC EXs and I was on the upper deck on sunny days.

I used them once while manning a 20mm during an ADEX (Air Defence Exercise) in the Far East, before ditching them because they were too dark and I couldn't see **** all.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  7. jrwlynch

jrwlynch LE Book Reviewer

Also ask around Winterbourne Gunner? They had some display cabinets of historic stuff last time I was there.

8. Sadly its not as easy as ringing them up, I've contacted them on numerous occasions, along with the Leyland and Birmingham Rubber Company who manufactured the SR6 along with Avon.... both sadly don't seem to have much interest in the historical side of things.

Ravers, I've seen quite a few of these lenses several times, apparently they are laser rejection lenses of some sort. The lenses that I think you've confused them with which are used by special forces are considerably larger and clip onto the retaining ring, they're made of some plastic that's tinted black and is near enough unbreakable. I wish I'd found a box of nbc kit at HMS Excellent, I was there at the start of the year doing Basic Sea Survival which included doing a little bit of CBRN training, during which I found out my GSR had been fitted by a previous instructor incorrectly......

Its certainly something I've considered, but I have no idea how to go about getting in touch with anyone there.

Thanks

Danny

9. Thanks for the clarification on the green lenses, I knew it was something to do with lasers :p

I recall seeing a couple of sand coloured S10's on ebay quite a while ago, if I remember rightly they sold for a couple hundred quid, I would like one... but not for that kinda money.

Thanks

Danny

10. IMG_0606.jpg IMG_0616.jpg IMG_0612.jpg
    Loads of different display's there

11. I recall that the S10 had some sort of 'outserts' rather than inserts used by THEM types to counter sudden party flashes.

A quick google and I find one, magic:

[​IMG]

There are also some on ebay.

12. Have you managed to get hold of a facelet? I've always been dubious that they would provide any protections at all.

Surely the boys at Winterborne Gunner would be happy to help out with any outdated stuff.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

13. Do you mean the thing that looked like a miniature nosebag?

I may still have one of those if the OP wants it.

14. I've seen quite a few of them, they seem to be relatively uncommon.... which isn't a surprise as I don't imagine they seen widespread use due to their very limited protective capabilities.

I believe that's what he is referring to, its more or less a glorified dust mask that you can buy out of B&Q... if you do have one you are willing to pass on to me, it would be appreciated. :)

Thanks

Danny