Help with posting please.

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by brummie_bleep, Jul 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all
    i've just been told im gettig posted to 21. and just wonderd if anyone could let me know what the unit was like, if the quaters were any good and what schools there are.

Any help on the matter would be great.

2. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

Please everyone lets not break this down into a slagging match about 21 Sigs.

Many thanks in advance

3. Not in the unit, but i live nearby. There is a primary school in Colerne village, which by all accounts is excellent. Kids of secondary school age can chose from schools in Chippenham or Corsham. Corsham school is excellent, and holds performing/visual arts college status. There are busses to and from the schools in the morning.

Quarters are ex RAF, and you will probably get exactly what you are entitled to - theres a vast shortage of larger houses in the area. I will say that the quarters are "adaquate", desperately in need of some updating and more storage space - but the're certainly not the worst in defence.

I know quite a few people who have served, and who do serve with the Regiment. Most enjoy their time with 21, and as the old saying goes "its what you make it"!! Look at the advantages, you can spit on the M4, your close to Bath, Swindon and Bristol for shopping (Cribbs Causway near Bristol is huge) and Wiltshire women wear next to nothing in the summer.

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.

4. 21 is a good unit with an operational focus. You won't be disappointed there.

CH

5. Thanks for all the help.

Brummie

6. I left 21 fours months ago. All depends on what sqn you get posted to ( hopefully not 248 ). A mate of mine got a hiring in chippenham cos the quarters are all reserved for the gurkhas. The CO has just changed so i've heard its alot better.
    Bath is good on the razz aswell so get yourself to caddies, what a night.
    Just make it what you want......have fun

7. Two things really,
    1. Your going anyway
    2. as boney said, "It’s what you make it"

I love it in Bath, great place and life outside work is worth it.
    Welcome and enjoy...

8. My time at 21 was good. I never understood the negativity there. You're 8 miles from Bath, and nearly on the M4. Secondly the unit has loads of Ops going on. Then again I wasn't 248, but they are moving in due course anyway.
    Anyone that complains needs to be posted to 14, then you know what remote is all about!

Finally, once a Red Hand, always a Red Hand.

9. Although interestingly 248 have had 2 UKTAP sign off in the last two years unlike 220 or 244 who have had well over thirty each. Considering there are about 25 UKTAP in the Sqn that means only 8% have signed off unlike the over 30% in the other two Squadrons. Suggest you take the slagging off of Squadrons with a pinch of salt, inevitably its borne out of jealousy. If 220 and 244 were so good wouldn't the soldiers want to stay in?

On another note I can say that if you're a soldier who wants to do his trade, has an interest in doing something else (like sport), enjoy a good time and want a chance to go on Ops, 21 Sig Regt (AS) whichever Squadron you go to offers it. If you want to sit in your room and play on your Playstation its as good as anywhere else.

10. Well you would say that, wouldn't you ;-)

11. Sadly there is a large proportion of the Royal Corps who do get postings and sit around on playstations....when will these people invest in Xbox 360?