Help with military convictions

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mad_twat_uk, Apr 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all I need your help.
    I am due to leave the army soon and I was wondering is it possible for employers to find out about my military convictions?

I have no civilian convictions but I do have one military one and I would prefer to keep this to my self do I have to tell them and if I don’t is there any way they could find it out. :lol: :lol: :lol:
  2. What was the conviction?

Anything juicy?
  3. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

mine was assault in 1982 and I recently had a criminal record check and it wasnt on. :D
  4. mine was only a couple of years ago and the job I am applying for will do a criminal record check I just need to no will that show up some people said it will not but some say it will
  5. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

nah cant see it mate I got a £200 fine back then which was a lot of dosh then, cant remember the section but it was comitting a civvy offence ie assault, bloody spicks anyway they lost :lol:
  6. I no that but it was only 2 years ago and i was told that if they do a check all that would show up was the civilian convictions not the military convictions.

but i need to no if this is true coz the job iam going for needs a Licens and to get it i must have a clean criminal record
  7. Ops is right. If the conviction is spent you dont have to declare it. I've heard tell of employers who want you to declare spent convictions, this is against the law under the Rehab of Offenders Act. So if you dont have to, dont tell them. Also i believe that an offence under the army act wont show up on criminal records checks unless it was tried under Courts Martial - anyone confirm that?

8. Don't tell me: English teacher?
  9. it was tried under Courts Martial so will this show up
  10. try here I couldn't be arrsed to search it for you!

CRB homepage
  11. Partly depends on what the sentence was.

Might be five years I think before a court martial conviction resulting in detention becomes 'spent'.

Try NACRO free helpline:

Good luck!
  12. i only got 36 days and bust from L/cpl
  13. Just to add a few more complications: (If we're talking about a CRB check)

There are at least two levels of CRB check - Basic and Enhanced and whereas you are not required to declare spent offences on either when you complete the form, the CRB list off anything they find - which includes spent offences, and things like Police Cautions. I believe it's "anything that resulting in your fingerprints going on file" but could be wrong?

If something does come up, the CRB send the details to whoever is named on the front page of the form as the person making the check, and they copy it to the person who is the subject of the check, i.e. You.

Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, the people who instigated the check are not allowed to approach the Subject to discuss further, and there are strict rules around them recording who they DO disclose it to. As the subject, you are allowed to broach the subject with them (if it comes up!) and you may find they're willing to negotiate if you're now a reformed character.

They can of course choose not to discuss it, just refuse to employ you.

I don't know if Mil records are searched as well - I got fined by the CO once, but no Rgtl Entry and this didn't come up on an enhanced check.

Best of luck!

14. Thanx for all your help but i still havent got a defo yes or no but thanx any ways i will keep looking