Help with medal identification

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Rowums, Nov 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today my grandparents were showing me some of my Grandfather's old WWII items. He has a little book full of his cap badges and corps badges. Anyway, in the book there are one or two items that didn't belong to him e.g a Queen's Royal Lancers cap badge. But he also has a German medal tucked away in the book with 'Fur treue Dienste' on the back.
    i've been looking on the internet to try and work out what the medal was given to the German's for but have not been able to find anything.
    I did however find this picture:
    [​IMG]
    The medal I'm asking about is the one with the solid blue ribbon.
    SO anybody got any ideas what it was awarded for?

p.s He can't remember where he picked it up, which probably means it came off a dead guy...

2. Cheers Seedubs, that's that sorted.

3. Got to admit, the terms "Looting" and "Geneva Convention" spring to mind.

4. I didn't say that he did take it off a body, but on the other hand where would you 'find' a medal given for 25 years service in the German army? Pity he can't remember really

5. Alternatively, "To the victor, the spoils." Until recently, only the losers could be guilty of war crimes.

I'm not really having a go, but somewhere out there is an old bloke wondering where his dad's medals are.

6. Very interesting point, mate. Recently, complaints were aired about Australian SAS members removing a head scarf and rifle from a corpse in Afghanistan, the actual word used was "looting". Surely then, every war museum and Ex-Servicemens club is in possession of goods suspected to be stolen? My thoughts, war is war, finders keepers.

7. "finders keepers, Losers weepers"

8. If you travel round some of the older more traditional messes you will find quite a few items which come under the heading of loot. Especially when it is silver. A mess I have in mind has silver dating a couple of hundred years ago, and when you see it, you know it was not just given away. "To the spoils of war"

9. If you travel round some of the older more traditional messes you will find quite a few items which come under the heading of loot. Especially when it is silver. A mess I have in mind has silver dating a couple of hundred years ago, and when you see it, you know it was not just given away. "To the spoils of war"

10. If you travel round some of the older more traditional messes you will find quite a few items which come under the heading of loot. Especially when it is silver. A mess I have in mind has silver dating a couple of hundred years ago, and when you see it, you know it was not just given away. "To the spoils of war"