Help with joining

Jackdb

Crow
So to start off im 19 and have been thinking of joining the army for a long time now but no idea where to start apart from me needing to get fitter. I have thought about joining House Hold Cavalry but am unsure whether its for me. If anyone has some tips on where to get started and help me trying to figure out what regiment to join would be thankful.

Mrsheeny

Old-Salt
Contact your local AFCO and take it from there, if you’re at college or in training or are unsure then go in the reserves for a taste of it first.

Worst case it scratches an itch, best case it prepares you for joining the regulars.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
So to start off im 19 and have been thinking of joining the army for a long time now but no idea where to start apart from me needing to get fitter. I have thought about joining House Hold Cavalry but am unsure whether its for me. If anyone has some tips on where to get started and help me trying to figure out what regiment to join would be thankful.
If you like working with horses and you like making everything shiny, there's only the Household Cavalry or King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery.

If you really don't like either or both activities, I'll posit neither unit is right for you. If you want to fulfil the military role (as opposed to the ceremonial role), you may prefer to look at Light Cavalry or... or... It's changed it's name. Basically reconnaissance. This will give you six cavalry regiments to choose from (with the potential also to work in a stables troop, but you'd be expected to fulfil a normal role first).

Where you live may help you choose a regiment that recruits in your area, but savage cuts since the fall of the Wall make recruiting areas irrelevant.

Take these thoughts to your recruiting office and see what they say.

Have a look around this thread, or a few of the other "Sticky" threads knocking about: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/regular-recruit-selection-sticky-for-all-recruit-application-and-assessment-enquiries-2019.289553/

Jackdb

Crow
Contact your local AFCO and take it from there, if you’re at college or in training or are unsure then go in the reserves for a taste of it first.

Worst case it scratches an itch, best case it prepares you for joining the regulars.
Okay ill see about getting in contact and im not in college or anything, thanks.

Jackdb

Crow
If you like working with horses and you like making everything shiny, there's only the Household Cavalry or King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery.

If you really don't like either or both activities, I'll posit neither unit is right for you. If you want to fulfil the military role (as opposed to the ceremonial role), you may prefer to look at Light Cavalry or... or... It's changed it's name. Basically reconnaissance. This will give you six cavalry regiments to choose from (with the potential also to work in a stables troop, but you'd be expected to fulfil a normal role first).

Where you live may help you choose a regiment that recruits in your area, but savage cuts since the fall of the Wall make recruiting areas irrelevant.

Take these thoughts to your recruiting office and see what they say.
Never worked with horses I do like the idea though also I live around London so I guess House Hold Cav is pretty close to me compared to others. Would you say its more ceremonial or 50/50 between military role?

Latest Threads