Help with inaccuracy in a newspaper article (and poking the LACS in the eye!)

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by alfred_the_great, Dec 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Who's stalking now? | Life and style |

The above article is a rather breathless account of a stalk. Whilst I don't particularly approve of the tone he takes, it's a free country. What I'm not quite sure about is the bollocks the LACS spokesperson comes up with:

I'm pretty sure there is such a thing, but would appreciate some guidance where I can find the official rules/regs. For all their prejudices, the Guardian does make corrections pretty quickly if they can be factually proven. More to the point, it'll stick one to the LACS, which is never a bad thing.

Thank you

2. Credit card?
  3. !. Most newspaper articles are innaccurate (at least, those that I have read where I know the truth of the story mostly are).

2. I agree with the LACS spokesperson, in that I think there should be a minimum competency of gun use before people are allowed to stalk. I also think people should not drive a car unless they have a driving licence, and I certainly think no-one should be allowed to fly a passenger jet without a pilot's licence.
  4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Minimum competency is normally a requirement placed by the estate and tested by the ghillie/guide - there's no formal requirement at all. In the same way that there's technically no competency requirement for an FAC either.
  5. There is the Deer Stalking Certificate - gleefully administered by BASC, however, the marksmanship requirements are lamentable. It's something like 3 shots in a group of 5 within 4" at 100yds, prone off a bipod, and you can have several goes at it.
  6. Ah but "technically there is", if the gun club of which you have to be a probationary member says you ain't competent you won't get your ticket, that's the way it works round here anyway. That's for target shooters of course, unfortunately you are right in that a lot of guy's learn "on the job" with deer etc and somebody else has to clean up a bad shot . Conclusion, maybe the guy's got a valid point!. I just hate the thought of more restrictions on what is an over regulated sport anyway.
  7. That's all a bit disappointing I have to say. I'd prefer to put the boot into them, but there we.
  8. Many of us that live in shooting communities were brought up shooting, we for example were allowed up the hills as 12 year olds with .22 bolt actions and a limited number of rounds. Rabbits brought back were measured against rounds expended and if the shooting was poor you got less ammo the next time. That focussed the mind, eye and finger coordination. That apprenticeship was better training than any formal course I think I have ever done.

Nowadays it is somewhat different but I for one am totally against the formal testing route, it becomes an exercise in revenue earning and justification for existence for some jobsworth. Far better to have those on the Estate check you out. Most can tell in seconds how someone is with firearms, even before they fire a shot. A person who is competent has an 'air' when handling a rifle; its everything from where the muzzle goes to how the person holds the rifle. Remember also, that if someone on the Estate sees someone whom they feel to be unsafe or dangerous they can talk always to the police. The same is true within the club environment
    • Like Like x 1
  9. there are however requirements on getting a gun, its not like your able to just pop down the local shooting shop and pick one up, the problem the LACS bloke is taking about was most likely the fact many shoots advertise and promte for new people to come and take part, providing the weapon nad ammo for a fee on there land, its thease dweebs that cause the real problems especially when its a big shoot and they dont want to put people off by making htem qualify on a tarrget range first.

of course i could be wrong but then my application for a gun licence wasnt approved on the 3 times i tried to get one in the past, oddley enough when i asked the local lot of a shotgun licence they just asked me how many guns i'd like to be on it, still cant afford one of my own though so it was rather a waste of cash
  10. I think the nature of the beast is you have to persuade some one like Ugly or his more barbaric Scottish version that you'd be safe to stalk.

Probably more effective than any piece of paper European hunting is less strictly controlled hence the desire for qualifications.
    • Like Like x 4
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Despite german hunting exams we have a lot less accidents over here!
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

One should ask why you are reading such a poor version of tomorrows fish wrapper? Any seemingly pro countryside none lifestyle channel 4 escape to complain about country life piece is solely put up to allow the unwashed Bill oddie Mouthpieces the chance to gob shite and scare monger.
    lefty shite the lot and it wont influence a single Hampstead Heath or Notting Hill dweller ergo is solely to allow the Lacs scum a chance to gob off and make more pathetic vegans from impressionable *********!
  13. Ugly, a coherent statement would be a lot easier to read ;)
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Basically the guardian is a LACS mouthpiece and as such can be ignored as unbiased as it only does country pieces to allow the veggies an opportunity to spout drivel!

Some mornings its hardly worth chewing through the straps! Sent from my Blackberry!