Help with identifying Regiment.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by bokkatankie, Apr 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Please see below, we know that he worked at the Royal Arsenal as an Explosives worker in 1911.

I have been on Ancestry, Forces War Records, Google etc., but cannot place him in a Regiment.

He was born 1883, worked in Royal Arsenal during WW1 and 2

Uniform looks about 1898 /1900.

Any help and information please. Sorry about quality of photo, best we can do:

Charles Grant 001 web.jpg

2. Well, he is wearing a Snipers badge on his left sleeve, so that pretty much ties him down to an infantry regiment.

Trouble is, I cannot see the number in the badge on his helmet.

Back in the 1800's the badges were often the same, with just the number defining the regiment...for example, have a look at this link, it is most certainly the badge seen in your photo.
    British Military Badges / Helmet Plates 1878 - 1881 Pattern Other Ranks / British Army Regiments but with 5 different Infantry regiments listed..there are many more.
    British Military Badges / Helmet Plates 1881 - 1902 Pattern Other Ranks / British Army Regiments

I can't make out the collar dogs either, these would give a better indication as to the regiment.

I hope that helps a little in narrowing down your search to Infantry Regiments.

3. Any iodea what part of the country he was from as that might help narrow it down (most infantry Regiments of the time would have been quite closely geographically bounded).

4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Is that Prince of Wales Feathers on his collar?

5. I did think that, but with maybe a crown above?

6. The shape of the helmet plate crown denotes pre 1901

7. The helmet plate looks like the 5th (Haytor) Voluntary Battalion, the Devonshire Regiment, but the collars don't match.

8. I've had a play in photoshop and the cap badge maybe a lion rampant.

Attached Files:

9. Rifle is a Lee Metford, which makes him regular line infantry if the photo is before about 1898, possibly a volunteer if the photo is 1900-ish or later.

Looks like the photo was taken at one of the booths set up by professional photographers at camp and exercise locations. His kit and weapon look genuine, rather than the stage props that some photographers provided for "walking out" soldiers in garrison towns.

10. I was thinking that, but I couldn't find any helmet plates with one on.

11. Born on the Isle of Sheppy (Kent), lived in Plumstead, his Father was from Dublin but worked (according to 1911 census) as Army Pensioner, Labourer at the Royal Arsenal.

My thinking is Queens West Kents or one of the other Queens Regiments.

12. Murphy, thanks, what about the belt buckle, I have tried enhancing but no luck yet?

13. Your idea that it might be the 5th (Haytor) Voluntary Battalion, the Devonshire Regiment could be right.

Attached Files:

14. Would the tunic be red? And does the piping denote anything that anyone is aware of?

15. Presumably both father and son worked at Woolwich arsenal?

If he was born in 1883 and was an explosive worker by 1911, he must have a had a fairly short regular army career - allowing for apprenticeship time for his job. I'm guessing he was actually a Volunteer, which might narrow it down to a unit local to the Woolwich area - even the garrison itself.