Help with family history project

romeolima

Clanker
img064.jpg

My mum is doing some research into her family history and has asked for help in identifying uniforms and service history of her Great Grandfather and his family.

The picture was taken in Circa 1916 and shows the men of the family in uniform of various types. We think the two boys at the back are possible some form of navy cadets as they would have been under 16 when the photograph was taken.

Front left is Arthur (Clarence) Legg, date of birth 14th March 1899. We have a service record for him joining the Navy 16th March 1917 F26958 as an Air Mechanic - not sure therefore if the uniform in this picture is also a "cadet" uniform.

Centre is Charles Henry Legg, date of birth 1st January 1873, uniform looks decidedly "army" but I've been able to identify the cap badge, only thing I can think of with a similar shape would be Royal Horse Guards.

Any information or assistance greatly appreciated.

What a fabulous family photo.
I agree the two young boys in naval uniforms could be cadets, but again 1916 was the Battle of Jutland where Boy Cornwall won his VC so they could be dressed as a fashion of the time.
Arthur is dressed in the uniform of the Royal Navy Air Service.
As to Charles, he looks too old to be a regular although wearing Cpls stripes he might well be part of the territorial force of the time. The cap badge is a Victorian crown not RHG.

964ST

LE
Even though I know it’s not really true!

1616506842514.jpeg

Photo of:- The youngest REME VM Fullscrew EVER! After he has had his chips removed!

romeolima

Clanker
What a fabulous family photo.
Arthur is dressed in the uniform of the Royal Navy Air Service.
Thanks

That answers that query regarding Arthur, which would mean that the photograph is later than believed as he didn't join until March 1917. I though the cap was of a Petty Officer (hence the thinking he might have been a more senior cadet), did all RNAS ranks wear this style of cap?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thanks

That answers that query regarding Arthur, which would mean that the photograph is later than believed as he didn't join until March 1917. I though the cap was of a Petty Officer (hence the thinking he might have been a more senior cadet), did all RNAS ranks wear this style of cap?

Arthur’s cap and cap badge look like those of an Artificer (Engineering rating with fast track promotion).

Even as apprentices they wore PO’s caps and uniforms but the cap badge is embroidered in red.

This only changed in the late 1990s.

I was in one of the first few batches of Artificers who wore the standard sailor suit.

romeolima

Clanker
Arthur’s cap and cap badge look like those of an Artificer (Engineering rating with fast track promotion).

Even as apprentices they wore PO’s caps and uniforms but the cap badge is embroidered in red.
Thanks Ravers

Below is Arthurs service record, I struggled to make out his "occupation" on joining but looking at what you've said I think it reads Engineer, so possible was in a trade before being conscripted on turning 18.

I appreciate this is an army board (we were more curious about my Gt Gt Grandfather in the centre) but does anyone know anything about HMS Queen II, HMS Queen was an older battleship that by 1917 was a depot ship of Taranto Italy, so not sure they would have need an Ari Mechanic. Possible a shore establishment in the UK?

img019.jpg

View attachment 559556

My mum is doing some research into her family history and has asked for help in identifying uniforms and service history of her Great Grandfather and his family.

The picture was taken in Circa 1916 and shows the men of the family in uniform of various types. We think the two boys at the back are possible some form of navy cadets as they would have been under 16 when the photograph was taken.

Front left is Arthur (Clarence) Legg, date of birth 14th March 1899. We have a service record for him joining the Navy 16th March 1917 F26958 as an Air Mechanic - not sure therefore if the uniform in this picture is also a "cadet" uniform.

Centre is Charles Henry Legg, date of birth 1st January 1873, uniform looks decidedly "army" but I've been able to identify the cap badge, only thing I can think of with a similar shape would be Royal Horse Guards.

Any information or assistance greatly appreciated.
RNAS Air Mechanic.
1616510280986.png

As regards the two youngsters, boys could join the RN at age 14.

I don't know about the older man's badge. Not Royal Defence Corps.

Thanks Ravers

Below is Arthurs service record, I struggled to make out his "occupation" on joining but looking at what you've said I think it reads Engineer, so possible was in a trade before being conscripted on turning 18.

I appreciate this is an army board (we were more curious about my Gt Gt Grandfather in the centre) but does anyone know anything about HMS Queen II, HMS Queen was an older battleship that by 1917 was a depot ship of Taranto Italy, so not sure they would have need an Ari Mechanic. Possible a shore establishment in the UK?

View attachment 559577
1616513303321.png

HMS Queen Elizabeth took part in the Dardanelles campaign in 1915 and this picture is off the Island of Lemnos. She was at Mudros for a while after, that was the centre of operations for the Aegean campaign against the Turks and Bulgars.
The mention of Taranto, now Taranto was the port that troops embarked for service in the Aegean. My Grandfather a RNAS pilot was on that run in 1918.
There were a number of bases in the Area but I would have a look at the squadron records for F Flight which was the independent unit consisting of DH9 bombers and a flight of Sopwith Pups/Camels. There was also a strong RNAS unit of seaplanes in the area.
Might be worth looking at The Great War forum there is a group on it who are all over this.
Best of luck

RNAS Air Mechanic.
View attachment 559574

As regards the two youngsters, boys could join the RN at age 14.

I don't know about the older man's badge. Not Royal Defence Corps.
I thought RDC initially but the cap badge is wrong. Mind you, Charles may have been in one of the various other military (but non-deployable) organisations that were raised between 1914-18. of which the RDC is just one example. Usually composed of those rejected by reason of age or medical condition from serving elsewhere.

The Long, Long Trail

1. If there was an initial shortage of kit, strange things were sometimes worn as cap badges. Buttons were used quite a lot.
2. HMS Queen was sent to Otranto to act as a depot ship in aid of the Italian Navy which tried to block the Otranto Straits to Central Powers ships (primarily Austro- Hungarian Navy.) Both RNAS and Italians used seaplanes for surveillance of the strait. From Charle’s record card it looks like he arrived at Otranto just a few days after a major action when the Austrians sank several Royal Navy Auxiliary drifters.
The barrage was pretty ineffective in blocking submarines - a certain Kapitan Georg von Trapp passed through on several occasions. (The Sound of Music bloke)

Last edited:
Arthur was inducted into the RAF on it's formation 1 April 1918 and his service number changed to 226958. At the very least, his RNAS service would have seen him earning the British War Medal, even if he never set foot outside the UK.

As for Charles, I can find no military trace of him: he was, however, initiated as a Mason in 1915:

Name:Charles Henry Legg
Initiation Age:42
Birth Year:abt 1873
Initiation Date:19 Jun 1915
First Payment Year on Register:1915
Year Range:1910-1921
Profession:Export Buyer
Lodge:Lebanon Lodge
Lodge Location:Feltham
Lodge Number:1326

4(T)

LE

This only changed in the late 1990s.

I was in one of the first few batches of Artificers who wore the standard sailor suit.

RN CCF cadets used to use the red tiffy badge on their berets for some reason.

It used to cause a few salty WTF oaths during cadet visits to ships and shore establishments back in the (pre-diversity) day.

Latest Threads