help with course work modern war poetry

Discussion in 'Poetry Corner' started by Cazwantsasquaddie, Jan 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. at the min im currently writting modern war poetry but im having a little difficulty with it as ive read a few poems and diaries frm the iraq/ afgan war i would really appreciate it if anyone could sugest any other material i could use i would be very greatful cheers

2. Hear the words I sing,
    War's a horrid thing,
    So I sing sing sing...
    ...ding-a-ling-a-ling

3. Your studying english? come again

4. Caz - the thread title suggests that you are studying war poetry, are you writing poetry as part of this? Can If so, is the difficulty that you don't have enough modern (as in 21st century) poetry to use a a reference? What type of additional material are you looking for - diaries, books, poetry, TV footage? I only ask to try and clarify your request and perhaps enable readers to help you.

In case I have correctly understood you, might I suggest dipping into books such as Iraq (by Mark Nichol), Million Bullets (by Jamee Fergusson) and In Foreign Fields (by Dan Collins) or have a look at the poetry thread on Arrse http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=100761/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html

edited to add poetry thread link

5. At first I thought this was a Wah, Read the poetry thread
    there's some very good stuff there and If you PM the authors I am sure that most will help you

6. Have you also heard "The German Guns"?

Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom.........Boom, Boom,.........Boom, Boom, Boom!

7. Well im writting war poetry for my english corsework and dont really have much 21st century to use as a refference and have looked at a few diaries yet im also looking for tv footage and more diaries to help make my work even better thanx for sugesting those books i will try and get hold of them

8. Thats a poem by a contemporary of Siegfried Sassoon and Wilfred Owen,
    a Pvt. B. Aldrick, renowned for such other works as 'The german Guns' and 'Why We're here..'

9. Ah yes, Why We're Here, a classic. Goes something like...

We're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here.

We're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here

And so on :D

10. edited to add poetry thread link[/quote]
    Well im writting war poetry for my english corsework and dont really have much 21st century to use as a refference and have looked at a few diaries yet im also looking for tv footage and more diaries to help make my work even better thanx for sugesting those books i will try and get hold of them[/quote]

Please tell me that you aren't really doing English as a subject! To misquote Oscar Wilde

"One spelling mistake may be regarded a misfortune, but two or more looks like carelessness."

Still the govt tells us that exams are to the same high standards as ever, so thats ok then.

11. Please tell me that you aren't really doing English as a subject! To misquote Oscar Wilde

"One spelling mistake may be regarded a misfortune, but two or more looks like carelessness."

Still the govt tells us that exams are to the same high standards as ever, so thats ok then.[/quote]
    Im doing english language and literature along with history and geography at a level then in september im going to portsmouth university to do a history degree

12. Aye, by christ, best of luck to ye then...

13. While I was studying those very beautiful words Bravo Zulu, a tune suggested itself to me. Try singing them to the tune of 'Auld Lang Syne'

I rather think that you may have a 'hit' on your hands. :D :D

14. definate 100% wah! Cazwantsasquaddie is reeling you in lads - war poetry is pre GCSE stuff. In reality, Cazwantsasquaddie is probably a hairy, stubbly ex Marine grooming you for unspeakable acts against the person. You've been warned.

15. Well, Bumper's WAH-fu is strong, so we shall see!