Help with becoming an Avionics Technician?

Hi there, I'm currently seriously thinking of becoming an Avionics Tech. I'm pretty confident of passing the training, its just the actual
trade I'm concerned about. I'd find it extremely useful if there are any current or retired Techs out there who could perhaps advise me on how to go about this; is it worth waiting to be trained at Arborfield, where the maths and physics are taught, or buying a load of books to teach and prepare myself beforehand?
(I'm currently 16 and a half, and have been given an application form by my careers officer)

Cheers, Tom.

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
Tom wrong site go to PPRUNE.org good luck, Civvy street is screaming for cone heads (avionic techs)

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
We do have Avionic techs in the Army Tom. I think there are a couple knocking around this site.
I thought it was a dying breed and most was RN and Crab Jinxy thanks for the update

Thanks guys, I'll hang around a bit longer :). I know civvy street are crying out for them, but I am dedicated to joining the military, its all I've ever
wanted to do.

I had 6 years as a greenie and few regrets. Scout and Gazelle and then TOW Lynx. My knowledge is therefore pretty dated, but for what they're worth here are my thoughts. By all means study in advance, but do it out of interest not need. The courses are designed to start low, making no assumptions about previous knowledge so they can guarantee that everyone completely has the same roots. I joined as a craftsman from university where I'd been studying for a degree in maths but still had to do same maths courses as everyone else (starting with long division). The pace picks up soon enough.

Tech Library? Don't you have TDOL like the rest of us now?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hitlerwasabitnaughty The NAAFI Bar 10
PartTimePongo The Intelligence Cell 3
A The Intelligence Cell 6