Help with becoming an Avionics Technician?

Discussion in 'Juniors' started by TomK94, Jul 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there, I'm currently seriously thinking of becoming an Avionics Tech. I'm pretty confident of passing the training, its just the actual
    trade I'm concerned about. I'd find it extremely useful if there are any current or retired Techs out there who could perhaps advise me on how to go about this; is it worth waiting to be trained at Arborfield, where the maths and physics are taught, or buying a load of books to teach and prepare myself beforehand?
    (I'm currently 16 and a half, and have been given an application form by my careers officer)

Cheers, Tom.
  2. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Tom wrong site go to good luck, Civvy street is screaming for cone heads (avionic techs)
  3. We do have Avionic techs in the Army Tom. I think there are a couple knocking around this site.
  4. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

I thought it was a dying breed and most was RN and Crab Jinxy thanks for the update
  5. I even taught one to drive! but, that was aloooong time ago.
  6. Thanks guys, I'll hang around a bit longer :). I know civvy street are crying out for them, but I am dedicated to joining the military, its all I've ever
    wanted to do.
  7. I had 6 years as a greenie and few regrets. Scout and Gazelle and then TOW Lynx. My knowledge is therefore pretty dated, but for what they're worth here are my thoughts. By all means study in advance, but do it out of interest not need. The courses are designed to start low, making no assumptions about previous knowledge so they can guarantee that everyone completely has the same roots. I joined as a craftsman from university where I'd been studying for a degree in maths but still had to do same maths courses as everyone else (starting with long division). The pace picks up soon enough.
  8. Good tips, but I'd disagree with the bit about avoiding the tech library. Being an avionics tech set me up for an excellent career as a technical author on coming out. I've been able to continue seeing the world (Netherlands, Germany, France, USA), earn pretty well and even have my 5 minutes of fame as a computer book author.
  9. Tech Library? Don't you have TDOL like the rest of us now?