Help With Artillery Shell markings Please. 1951

If there is anyone who can help with information as to the markings on this shell casing I would be extremely grateful.

I’ve uploaded a picture.

Dated 1951
“Pool Store” marking
“ECC” manufacturer
Listed as 3” 70 Cal
Crows foot
Lot 5 NoEX
D2(L)6168. /SK/873

Thank you

Attachments

Thank you.. was confused - think I understand the markings better now.
A 3.7” shell and not as I have been searching for as a 3” shell or 70 Calibre.

4(T)

LE
The only gun listed with that specific designation is the 1950s experimental US/UK naval AA gun.

Whats interesting is that the sources indicate UK and US used different cartridges. On the Op's shell, you can see that the cartridge was made in 1951 for some other gun, but was then overstamped with the "3" 70 Cal" later on. Ergo this may be oine of the adapted carts for the late 1950s project gun.

I'm guessing that "Pool Store" (in red lettering) indicates that this was some kind of drill shell.

Am I correct in thinking ECC is for E Curran & Co as the manufacturer. Been doing some digging through this forum.
This is all very interesting.. are there websites or directories where I can find what the markings mean on these shells. Got others I am interested in finding what artillery they were used in.
Thanks guys

Try this for your research

One more thing.. if anybody can share

The shell reads 3”70 CAL yet the diameter of the shell is 4.5 inches is this right?? Why aren’t they the same.

The shell reads 3”70 CAL yet the diameter of the shell is 4.5 inches is this right?? Why aren’t they the same.
I presume it's a 3" projectile fired from a 4.5" chamber? Is the case necked?

4(T)

LE

Where exactly are you measuring?

The photo you have posted is the base of the brass cartridge case. Often these taper or have a bottle-shaped neck to a smaller diameter - which is the diameter of the shell itself.

One possibility is that you might not have the complete cartridge case there. Where cases have been used as souvenirs or for some other purpose (standing tools in, etc), its quite common the for the necked part to be cut off.

Latest Threads