Help with a shaving question

I'm due to start training in 2 weeks and I've always had massive issues shaving with bumps burns ingrown hairs ect

I'm wondering if you are made to go against the grain for that super close shave every morning or if with the grain even know you'll have that dark look but no actual hair is the standard required

Thanks guys

There is hair removal cream for blokes available, don't know how effective it is but worth a try.
I can't imagine it working on stubble but I can look it up I'm happy to shave and have no visible hair but if they want a silky smooth face then I'm going to be walking around looking like I'm more herpes than man

They will actually coach you in the art of shaving...

It might not seem like coaching, it might seem like piss taking and mockery at times, but you'll have to admire their wit.

As it happens, everyone is a bit different. It could be that you have a fresh, baby face and don't need to shave much. Or just some light fluff that you can shave off gently the night before. As you have a couple of weeks you can try a couple of things before you start. Such as shaving oil and shaving balm if you like that sort of thing. Frankly though, for beginners just simple soap and single blade Bic razors are sufficient. I would also recommend that you take along a shaving brush as it's something you can lather up some soap with and use it to scrub your face. Those tiny bristles will get the dirt out of your pores, follicles and folds, etc and leave you very clean. Helping enormously to reduce spots and blackheads.

I would further recommend that you take along some microfibre cloths. Some to wash with and others for general cleaning tasks. After all, it's "Join the Navy to see the world - join the Army to clean it!"

I wouldn't recommend hair removal cream. You'd be asking for chemical burns.

Make sure your face is spotlessly (hehe) clean before shaving or you'll fill the pores with crap. Shave twice a day to toughen your face up, going with the grain and gently.

Shaving against the grain is something you can aspire to. It'll allow you to get away with coming back off the razz and shaving before going to bed to save you a couple of minutes of panic when you oversleep and wake up 5 minutes before parade.

All this will be for nought when you train in the field or wear your helmet because that's when the grime gets into your pores. And there's nothing you can do about it. Thankfully, you won't be alone...

Oh, forgot to ask - are you male or female? You didn't make it clear.

I wouldn't recommend hair removal cream. You'd be asking for chemical burns.

Make sure your face is spotlessly (hehe) clean before shaving or you'll fill the pores with crap. Shave twice a day to toughen your face up, going with the grain and gently.

Shaving against the grain is something you can aspire to. It'll allow you to get away with coming back off the razz and shaving before going to bed to save you a couple of minutes of panic when you oversleep and wake up 5 minutes before parade.

All this will be for nought when you train in the field or wear your helmet because that's when the grime gets into your pores. And there's nothing you can do about it. Thankfully, you won't be alone...

Oh, forgot to ask - are you male or female? You didn't make it clear.
I'm male haha and I'd rather not go against the grain which was my main part of the question as to whether or not Shaving with the grain will pass my morning inspection

Thanks for the advice

Last edited:
They will actually coach you in the art of shaving...

It might not seem like coaching, it might seem like piss taking and mockery at times, but you'll have to admire their wit.

As it happens, everyone is a bit different. It could be that you have a fresh, baby face and don't need to shave much. Or just some light fluff that you can shave off gently the night before. As you have a couple of weeks you can try a couple of things before you start. Such as shaving oil and shaving balm if you like that sort of thing. Frankly though, for beginners just simple soap and single blade Bic razors are sufficient. I would also recommend that you take along a shaving brush as it's something you can lather up some soap with and use it to scrub your face. Those tiny bristles will get the dirt out of your pores, follicles and folds, etc and leave you very clean. Helping enormously to reduce spots and blackheads.

I would further recommend that you take along some microfibre cloths. Some to wash with and others for general cleaning tasks. After all, it's "Join the Navy to see the world - join the Army to clean it!"
My facial hair grows fast thick and dark unfortunately I can attack my face with a razor and it seems like I have a beard a few hours later I use a soap dish and brush atm I do think a single blade could help apparently anything with more than one blade and each blade pulls hair either way I did try a double edge razor for a while which was cheap but everyone and his dog swears by them so maybe if I buy a quality one and experiment with the blades I could find the answer but I've been told there's absolutely no time for all that traditional shaving in basic it's 12 blokes between 3 sinks 5 mins before parade

Expect to spend four hours each evening plucking each individual stubble hair with tweezers, and pray to the Blessed Virgin Mary that you haven't missed one.

Hope this helps.

My facial hair grows fast thick and dark unfortunately I can attack my face with a razor and it seems like I have a beard a few hours later I use a soap dish and brush atm I do think a single blade could help apparently anything with more than one blade and each blade pulls hair either way I did try a double edge razor for a while which was cheap but everyone and his dog swears by them so maybe if I buy a quality one and experiment with the blades I could find the answer but I've been told there's absolutely no time for all that traditional shaving in basic it's 12 blokes between 3 sinks 5 mins before parade
I've had a perpetual blue chin since I was about 15.

I'm 63 now, nothing has changed.

Except the razors market: they're trying to sell you outrageously priced 5blade cartridges that are no better than the (increasingly hard to find in UK shops) Gillette Contour Plus Ive been using since 1975.

Best shave is always after a shower, using a shaving brush and soap, and a quality blade (Gillette for me, every time). If you're pushed for time, shave in the shower, by feel, using any old soap as a lubricant. Always a good blade makes the difference.

Alternatively, get up 5minutes earlier than any fecker else.

I've had a perpetual blue chin since I was about 15.

I'm 63 now, nothing has changed.

Except the razors market: they're trying to sell you outrageously priced 5blade cartridges that are no better than the (increasingly hard to find in UK shops) Gillette Contour Plus Ive been using since 1975.

Best shave is always after a shower, using a shaving brush and soap, and a quality blade (Gillette for me, every time). If you're pushed for time, shave in the shower, by feel, using any old soap as a lubricant. Always a good blade makes the difference.

Alternatively, get up 5minutes earlier than any fecker else.
I was thinking about getting up a little bit sooner for a hot shower to help sort my face out I'll need to get there and see what's what in terms of time in the mornings ect

Just looked online and it seems the blades for that razor are easy to find but the handle is a nightmare

It looks like you are going to be one of the problem ones. You'll be quickly spotted and scrutinised at every inspection. By the afternoon, you'll be accused of not having shaved. If you ever get a show parade for anything at all, you had better shave again before you go. However, if you are lucky you could get away with other stuff while they are distracted by your bristles. Eventually though you'll master this and they'll make less fuss.

Oh yeah I'm definitely going to get picked up for not Shaving I look forward to collecting my hairs off of my razor and putting them on show parade... Not

Oh yeah I'm definitely going to get picked up for not Shaving I look forward to collecting my hairs off of my razor and putting them on show parade... Not
If it wasn't shaving, it would be your hair, boots, shirt, locker, bed, shoes,teeth, floor, window,toilet,suitcase, beret, hair, boots, shirt, locker, bed, shoes,teeth, floor, window,toilet,suitcase, beret, hair, boots, shirt, locker, bed, shoes,teeth, floor, window,toilet,suitcase, beret, hair, boots, shirt, locker, bed, shoes,teeth, floor, window,toilet,suitcase, beret ..........

Just keep a sense of humour and accept it is all part of the game.

@putteesinmyhands , Tried to quote direct but it all went wrong, anyway regards RM.

All this will be for nought when you train in the field or wear your helmet because that's when the grime gets into your pores. And there's nothing you can do about it.

What about the best moisturiser and cam cream remover on the planet???? Mind you that was when it was the big sticks rather than today's little "compacts" with a mirror!
I'm sure they are just an idea borrowed from the septics so everyone can get that "Arnie- Predator" look.

Good Cam- Lasts for ages

Original-1990s-British-Army-Issue-Brown-Camo-Cream.jpg

Needs this.............

02788_C2RnkhCzCnFUFRWtP7Jrtd8q.jpeg

Current Gayers stuff.....

jfhf.jpg

Which very much resembles

hdsghsg.jpg

Needs this!!!!!!!!

71jzHnBC3tL._SY355_.jpg

Mirrors on fcucking cam cream, what's that all about. Has the buddy buddy system been stopped?

Mirrors in the field??? Might as well whack a Schermully up!!!! Just saying like

1550017964497.png

Last edited:
Get all my stuff from here....

Edwin Jagger

Blades though, I was picking up ten Wilkinson double edged for 55p ! In a local store.
Far closer than Mr Gillette of Reading can provide!

Get all my stuff from here....

Edwin Jagger

Blades though, I was picking up ten Wilkinson double edged for 55p ! In a local store.
Far closer than Mr Gillette of Reading can provide!
Literally just been looking at one of their DE razors along with feather blades I already use a brush and soap dish could be an option anyone who uses them tells me to get one and I'll not have any bother shaving again

Mind you that was when it was the big sticks rather than today's little "compacts" with a mirror!
Big sticks? You're showing your youth.

Plaggy pouches filled with Paint, face, camouflage, brown in my early days. Rumoured to be made by Max Factor.

Now I've said that, there's bound to be someone who'll pipe up with "burnt cork" only to be beaten by someone who claims to have had "Ode to Woad" as their Regimental March.