Help with a script for Combat Stress?

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Cookie__Monster, Aug 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all,

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this post. I am currently writing the script for a play that is being staged in London this November to raise money for Combat Stress and I was wondering if anyone who has experienced Christmas on a Patrol Base in Afghanistan might be willing to answer a few quick questions about it, either here or via PM?

Many thanks for your time. :)

Edited to add that I have now asked for and received Admin permission from Good CO to post this. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1

2. Seems a fair one PM one of the Mods and when they give there blessing, lads will probably answer you. A lot of the guys have had problems with journos using underhand methods to get info. PM a MOD possibly GoodCO and he may advise you on how to get a happy outcome.

I cant be a Mod as I can spell and stuff,

Cheers, and good luck

DTC

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks very much for the advice and good wishes, DTC - very helpful and greatly appreciated. I shall send that PM forthwith! :)

4. Careful - the other reason DTC isn't a mod is that he is a liar

5. I shall bear that in mind... ;-) :)

6. Please excuse the shameless bumping of this thread but I wondered if it might be worth posting the questions I was hoping to get answers to, in case anyone is more likely to answer them now that I have got Admin permission. :)

1) Would ‘Christmas dinner’ on a small PB (in 2010) be ration packs or fresh food? Would it even manage to be remotely Christmassy at all?!

2) If ration packs, what do they include?

3) Would everyone who wanted to get the chance to call home on Christmas Day – or at least at some point between Christmas Eve & Boxing Day?

4) When are Christmas boxes/parcels – from the Government or strangers, rather than family – actually delivered or handed out? Do they keep them for Christmas day or just distribute them whenever they arrive?

5) Would every PB be visited by a Padre? Assuming that there was one there, would he conduct a religious service or more of a quick prayer and a few carols? And would each Padre have to visit more than one PB on the day?

6) Are there any perks particular to Christmas day, e.g. might you get a bit of a lie-in?!

I apologise in advance if any of these questions seem unspeakably obvious...

Thanks again for your time. :)

7. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Pardon my suspicious nature but, if you're intending to use Christmas to heighten dramatic effect, please be aware that The Wild Geese is about thirty five years ahead of you and that your subject deserves better than 'Drama 101, How to add pathos to a weak plot by hooking it up to Christmas' as taught by the Neasden Night School for Aspiring Writers.

8. All you need to know is contained in the following lines,

TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS
    HE LIVED ALL ALONE
    IN A ONE BEDROOM HOUSE MADE OF PLASTER AND STONE
    I HAD COME DOWN THE CHIMNEY WITH PRESENTS TO GIVE
    AND TO SEE JUST WHO IN THIS HOME DID LIVE

I LOOKED ALL ABOUT A STRANGE SIGHT I DID SEE
    NO TINSEL NO PRESENTS NOT EVEN A TREE
    NO STOCKING BY THE MANTLE JUST BOOTS FILLED WITH SAND
    ON THE WALL HUNG PICTURES OF FAR DISTANT LANDS
    WITH MEDALS AND BADGES AWARDS OF ALL KINDS
    A SOBER THOUGHT CAME THROUGH MY MIND

FOR THIS HOUSE WAS DIFFERENT IT WAS DARK AND DREARY
    I FOUND THE HOME OF A SOLDIER ONCE I COULD SEE CLEARLY
    THE SOLDIER LAY SLEEPING SILENT ALONE
    CURLED UP ON THE FLOOR IN THIS ONE BEDROOM HOME

THE FACE WAS SO GENTLE THE ROOM IN SUCH DISORDER
    NOT HOW I PICTURED A LONE BRITISH SOLDIER
    WAS THIS THE HERO OF WHOM I'D JUST READ
    CURLED UP ON A PONCHO THE FLOOR FOR A BED

I REALISED THE FAMILIES THAT I SAW THIS NIGHT
    OWED THEIR LIVES TO THESE SOLDIERS WHO WERE WILLING TO FIGHT
    SOON ROUND THE WORLD THE CHILDREN WOULD PLAY
    AND GROWNUPS WOULD CELEBRATE A BRIGHT CHRISTMAS DAY

THEY ALL ENJOY FREEDOM EACH MONTH OF THE YEAR
    BECAUSE OF THE SOLDIERS LIKE THE ONE LYING HERE
    I COULDN'T HELP WONDER HOW MANY ALONE
    ON A COLD CHRISTMAS EVE IN A LAND FAR FROM HOME

THE VERY THOUGH BROUGHT A TEAR TO MY EYE
    I DROPPED TO MY KNEES AND STARTED TO CRY
    THE SOLDIER AWAKENED AND I HEARD A ROUGH VOICE
    'SANTA DON'T CRY THIS LIFE IS MY CHOICE
    I FIGHT FOR FREEDOM I DON'T ASK FOR MORE
    MY LIFE IS MY GOD, MY COUNTRY. MY CORPS'

THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER AND DRIFTED TO SLEEP
    I COULDN'T CONTROL IT I CONTINUED TO WEEP

I KEPT WATCH FOR HOURS SO SILENT AND STILL
    AND WE BOTH SAT AND SHIVERED FROM THE COLD NIGHTS CHILL
    I DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE ON THAT COLD DARK NIGHT
    THIS GUARDIAN OF HONOUR SO WILLING TO FIGHT

THEN THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER WITH A VOICE SOFT AND PURE
    WHISPERED 'CARRY ON SANTA ITS CHRISTMAS DAY ALL IS SECURE'
    ONE LOOK AT MY WATCH AND I KNEW HE WAS RIGHT
    'MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT'

9. Yay.....does that mean its Christmas?

10. W@nker, it's far too early for that, no one's opened the betting book yet!

11. Top tip regarding your play; avoid loud bangs. As 'em twitching see?

12. Thanks very much for your reply, FORMER_FYRDMAN - it made me smile. :) No, don't worry, I am not intending to use Christmas to heighten dramatic effect in any way. The one scene in the whole play that is set in the PB at Christmas is, far from being any sort of pathos-filled, melodramatic, misery-with-bells-on festival, actually meant to be fairly lighthearted and, hopefully, even a bit funny. I am only asking so many specifically Christmassy questions so that I can get the details right in this one scene, just as I have tried to in the others.

Hope this assuages any fears you might have in this department! :-D

13. Thanks for the poem, RQMS - undeniably Christmas-related but I'm not entirely certain it contains quite everything I need to know in this instance... :)

Sadly not yet, drain_sniffer, no. But only another 118 (give or take) shopping days to go... ;-)

I must sincerely apologise for inspiring the posting of such prematurely festive content!

Thanks very much for the tip, k13eod. I shall endeavour to follow your advice - where possible... ;-) :-D

14. Bollocks you - it made me have a cry on the bus

15. I may have posted this elsewhere on ARRSE. A few years back on the eve of Remembrance Day I was in London having a few wets with fellow BLESMA spackers. Having a chat with the General Secretary (an awesome guy, think Boris Johnson with less limbs) who told me he'd recently been at a big meeting for many of the forces charities. At the meeting a chap from Combat Stress suggested to him that they and BLESMA should have a few joint activities. He paused, had a sip of his beer then said to me; 'I wouldn't mind but they're such miserable buggers', Made me chuckle that did.

• Like Like x 2