Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Help with a military relative

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Good afternoon clever people. I am trying, on behalf of my step-niece, to find her Grandfather's military history. She has found a map of northern Europe, which he has marked with points through Holland, Belgium and France, and thinks this might be where he went 'on tour' in 1939-40.

I know some of you have access to records that aren't available to the normal folks yet, because you helped me with finding out about my Great Uncle. Can anyone provide any information about FREDERICK SAMUEL BAKER, born in Birmingham on 7th August 1918 please?

There's a Family Tree to the chap on Ancestry, raised by one Gemma Oborne.

His death was registered in the first quarter of 1992 in Yeovil, Somerset.

The only place to obtain accurate records of his military service will be through here:

Shouldn't be a need to produce a Death Cert as death is over 25 years.

There's a Family Tree to the chap on Ancestry, raised by one Gemma Oborne.

His death was registered in the first quarter of 1992 in Yeovil, Somerset.

The only place to obtain accurate records of his military service will be through here:

Shouldn't be a need to produce a Death Cert as death is over 25 years.
I am working with Gemma, she's just starting her search. I've told her about Glasgow. When I got started, someone here helped with a service number , which made life a lot easier as I was dealing with a Higgins. She's dealing with an equally popular surname.

Even a Service Number isn't going to be of much help as it's all too 'new'.

with a 'modern' (ie WWII) number, you'll still only get a rough idea as to when he enlisted/was called up.

Any idea what Regiment he was in?

Even a Service Number isn't going to be of much help as it's all too 'new'.

with a 'modern' (ie WWII) number, you'll still only get a rough idea as to when he enlisted/was called up.

Any idea what Regiment he was in?
She thinks he was in a searchlight battery, so possibly Royal Artillery. He married in 1943 in North Dorset, having met his wife while posted there.

She thinks he was in a searchlight battery, so possibly Royal Artillery. He married in 1943 in North Dorset, having met his wife while posted there.

Hmmm.

Depending on when he joined, he may have been RE initially, as Searchlight Bns were an RE task. However, that changed late '39/early '40 when the bulk had become an RA tasking.

A good percentage of the RA Tracer Cards are available on Ancestry-I'll see if I can find him.

Don't suppose that you've got his Number to hand have you?

Hmmm.

Depending on when he joined, he may have been RE initially, as Searchlight Bns were an RE task. However, that changed late '39/early '40 when the bulk had become an RA tasking.

A good percentage of the RA Tracer Cards are available on Ancestry-I'll see if I can find him.

I found those tracer cards but they were all Greek to me!
Sadly we don't have his number. I was hoping someone here can help with that. It unlocks so much.

I found those tracer cards but they were all Greek to me!
Sadly we don't have his number. I was hoping someone here can help with that. It unlocks so much.

Errm - nope, simply put.

Mostly, that information is not in the public domain: there are exceptions - RA Tracer Cards, Army Medal Rolls for most medals up to GSM clasp 'PALESTINE 1945-48'.

Hence why someone needs to apply using the link I posted above :)

Hmmm.

He would have been stationed in North Dorset. We surmise the searchlight were part of the defences of Yeovil and Henstridge.

Errm - nope, simply put.

Mostly, that information is not in the public domain: there are exceptions - RA Tracer Cards, Army Medal Rolls for most medals up to GSM clasp 'PALESTINE 1945-48'.

Hence why someone needs to apply using the link I posted above :)
I will reiterate that to her. Shouldn't be a problem as she or her mother are direct descendants.

I will reiterate that to her. Shouldn't be a problem as she or her mother are direct descendants.

Harumph!

Not a lot of luck with the RA Tracer Cards.

The only hit I can find is for a Frederick Baker who was enlisted on 12 Sep 1939. Not much else except a release date of 22 Sep 1945.

And that's it.

. . . I mean - Baker, fer Crissakes! And just the one 'Frederick'?!

Harumph!

Not a lot of luck with the RA Tracer Cards.

The only hit I can find is for a Frederick Baker who was enlisted on 12 Sep 1939. Not much else except a release date of 22 Sep 1945.

And that's it.

. . . I mean - Baker, fer Crissakes! And just the one 'Frederick'?!
Thanks for looking. If she gets the stuff from Glasgow I will post here

Much appreciated.

I have had a look at Forces War Records, which holds transcripts of WW2-era casualty and PoW lists, gallantry and LSGC awards and Army Lists. The closest match I can get is:

First Name:

F S

Surname:

Baker

Gunner

Service Number:

Authority:

A.O. 170/45

Authority Date:

31/10/1945

Service:

British Army

Primary Unit:

Royal Field Artillery

Archive Reference:

WO102_36a

Awarded the Territorial Efficiency Medal

However, there's nothing beyond the initials, surname and Corps to indicate whether it is your man or not.

I have had a look at Forces War Records, which holds transcripts of WW2-era casualty and PoW lists, gallantry and LSGC awards and Army Lists. The closest match I can get is:

First Name:

F S

Surname:

Baker

Gunner

Service Number:

Authority:

A.O. 170/45

Authority Date:

31/10/1945

Service:

British Army

Primary Unit:

Royal Field Artillery

Archive Reference:

WO102_36a

Awarded the Territorial Efficiency Medal

However, there's nothing beyond the initials, surname and Corps to indicate whether it is your man or not.
That is a great start thank you.