Help with a Medal Card

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Cpt_Darling, Sep 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How do all,

I have the attached Medal card for one of my relatives. Im actually trying to decipher what the various scrawls across it actually mean. Also what medals he would actually be entitled to, as Im doing a display for what would be his son (my grandfather).

Cheers for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Your image is a bit to small to make out the medal,but it would appear to have a clasp "Afg. N(orth).W(est).F(rontier) 1919.

He is Gunner 116406 William Johnston,and he's in the Royal Garrison Artillery,I would imagine he would be serving in India at the time,that's about the best I can do,maybe someone else can flesh it out,or correct any mistakes. ;-)

The roll number would be the specific Medal Roll,held at the National Archives in Kew.

3. Yes thanks mate, I should of added what I already knew (which is mostly what you just covered!)

Can't see which medal the NWF clasp is on? And is it only the British medal he is entitled to?

There was only two RGA Mountain Batteries in India during that time so I've it narrowed down that much.

4. Its the India General Service Medal 1909 issued with the clasp Afganistan (1919), for service in India on the North West Frontier in the Third Anglo Afgan War or Third Afgan War.

See wikipedia for picture of medal enter British medals issued in India in 1919.

5. Also entitled to a British war medal by the look of it

6. CD...RoofRat is correct as far as i can see. Just to add that these MICs can be confusing due to the lack of, or even more strangely amount of info contained in them. But i would suggest that although not indicated, he would probably be entitled to the War Medal and Victory Medal. I may be wrong, but i think each of the three roles in the Royal Regiment would have had it's own medal roll, hence the RGA/Roll 105A Page 426 reference. Had he been in a Field Brigade the card would have read RFA/105 426. The reason for this is because the Artillery of the time was a vast organisation, and as such had to be split into three seperate roles RHA (Horse) RFA (Field) and RGA (Garrison) for ease of admin as much as anything perhaps? These medal details would later have been transferred to the National Roll as seen. The note on the bottom of the card AS/RGA/1839?? It may refer to some Army Regulation involving the RGA specifically, or possibly refer to a qualification for a pension later?

7. They weren't entiteled to the victory medal the soldiers that were in india there is nothing in the line by victory medal so he is entitled to British War Medal and IGS Medal acorrding to that MIC

8. I hope the 1839 was not his enlistment date as he would have been 80 when he was awarded his India General Service Medal 1909 complete with clasp Afganistan 1919.

9. BA...If he is entitled to the War Medal, how come he isn't entitled to the Victory medal too? I thought they went hand in hand, Bubble and Squeek?? Did this chap join up very late in the war i wonder, or was there a qualifying period for the Victory Medal which he never attained. I am genuinely surprised by that.

10. cant remember the exact rules but there are some circumstances where you could get one but not the other

11. He joined up 1914 and arrived in India around June 1916, arriving back in the uk early 1920. Not sure of the qualifying criteria myself, but there are some dates for the more boned up.

My particular task is to find what unit he was in. Ive narrowed it down to two mountain batteries that served in the 3rd War. It remains to be seen if he was with that unit throughout.

12. About 6.5 million British War Medals were awarded, but only around 5.7 million Victory Medals. To qualify for the Victory Medal, you had to have served in a defined theatre of war and India wasn't one of them. For the British War Medal, you had to have "entered a theatre of war on duty, or left places of residence and rendered approved service overseas". So it's perfectly possible for someone to have spent the war in the UK and India (as CD's Great-Grandfather appears to have done) and therefore not be awarded the Victory Medal.

13. Wedge, CD...I am suitably enlightened, many thanks gents.

14. The British Army that was involved on ops in Russia 1919-20 were also awarded the BWM sans Victory Medal as well.

Not a lot of help to Capt Darling though so apologies for irrelevance.