Help with a funeral!

Discussion in 'Officers' started by scotlandswimmer89, Oct 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well let me explain the situation here. My great aunt died on thursday of cancer. The funeral is being planned and they want me to do a reading in front of about 100 people. Her husband was a prominent Colonel and many of her friends who will be there are old Generals and Brigadiers. Now, they want me to wear my No2's. Is this ok to do so or will it be frowned upon and should I warn them off it?

2. If it would help your family, if your Great Aunt would have wanted it, and if YOU are comfortable with it, then go ahead and wear them. But for God's sake, make sure they're perfect!

3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

I did for my Great Uncle's do, for similar reasons. However get either the CO's or Adjt's permission to be on the safe side.

4. Totally agree and remember that you are the one who has been seen worthy of and given the privilege of doing the reading - not the others.

5. and do I wear a sword with my Sam Browne? and furthermore...do I take off my sam browne in the church. we were told to take off our belts at sandhurst when we went to the chapel. Thanks for the help!

6. I feel slightly like an amateur!

7. You just Commissioned through the OTC I believe ? The family are justifably proud, the old boys will be pleased to see a youngster in uniform. No one is going to say a word unless you make a complete arse of it, and even then they'd be a tit.

Times like this your RQ and the regimental family should swing in behind you to help if you've not got all the stuff. Explain the situation and offers of decent kit should not be a problem.

Go for it.

Condolences to the family as well.

8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

TBH a lot of it will come down to Regt tradition/SOPs. Have a quiet word with the RSM and he should be able to give you chapter and verse on what is the accepted norm for your mob.

My instinct is medals but no sword; Sam Browne stays on.

Edited to add: ignore all above, as I was basing it on Reg Service and not OTC.

9. I have yes...in the process of transfering to the Royal Scots so wish I had their No.2s but the ones I have now are good enough. Thank you for your condolences and your help.

10. Yes but check for Regimental custom and practice.

11. Sam Browne stays on. Sword is left at the Church door - no weapons in church (unless you're in India post Mutiny!). I think the only exception is when you are the Groom.

12. Big M - Now I know who you are! Good luck for the funeral - we will be thinking of you and the family especially Mum.

13. Is this the other, Bigger M? Thanks a million. will be a great occasion but unfortunately for all the wrong reasons! maybe see you at pop's big 50 or army navy?

14. Number 2s, Sam Browne and head gear... there is no requirement for you to even take your sword.

Head gear can stay in the pew whilst inside.

Fly it past the Adjt, I am sure he will assist if you have any questions or problems.