Help with a commerative medal

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jcm649, Sep 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A Dutch lady who was a close friend of the family, was awarded/presented with this medal some time in the recent past in recognition of her activities in support of the allies around Arnhem. We only have a photo of her holding it but my wife keeps asking what it was for, and I have no idea so can anyone help?

Attached Files:

2. Thanks for the link, certainly looks like the same medal, although the one in the picture is mounted in a "Holder" with some sort of bar arrangement, its quite possible that the organisation who presented her with it, had it mounted like this.
    The organisation was possibly something to do with the Parachute Regiment as she used to attend reunions and meetings across the country talking about her times in Arnhem and its quite possible that this was simply a token of appreciation from them, problem is as she died several years ago it will probably remain a bit of a mystery, unless someone knows better!!

3. You may be able to get more information from T,K&S Toye, Kenning and Spencer » Contact Us or on some Airborne website.

If the medal is quite a few years old, it could have been struck for the 50th or 60th anniversary.

Time's getting on. There would have been fewer than 2000 purchasers of the medal when issued, so it's likely that the current original owners are numbered in their hundreds.

4. Thanks, I have emailed them with the question.
    I could try an airborne site as well if anyone wants to suggest a likely site where I wont get abused for not throwing myself out of a plane ;-)