• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Help with a commerative medal

A Dutch lady who was a close friend of the family, was awarded/presented with this medal some time in the recent past in recognition of her activities in support of the allies around Arnhem. We only have a photo of her holding it but my wife keeps asking what it was for, and I have no idea so can anyone help?

Attachments

Could it be something to do with Nijmegen? :)

It's the Arnhem Medal 1944. Only 2000 were minted by Toye, Kenning & Spencer Ltd.

ARNHEM MEDAL 1944 (Auction ID: 107526, End Time : 19 Sep. 2010 20:10:07) - Neate Auctions

Elderly Airborne challenge coin, maybe?
Thanks for the link, certainly looks like the same medal, although the one in the picture is mounted in a "Holder" with some sort of bar arrangement, its quite possible that the organisation who presented her with it, had it mounted like this.
The organisation was possibly something to do with the Parachute Regiment as she used to attend reunions and meetings across the country talking about her times in Arnhem and its quite possible that this was simply a token of appreciation from them, problem is as she died several years ago it will probably remain a bit of a mystery, unless someone knows better!!

You may be able to get more information from T,K&S Toye, Kenning and Spencer » Contact Us or on some Airborne website.

If the medal is quite a few years old, it could have been struck for the 50th or 60th anniversary.

Time's getting on. There would have been fewer than 2000 purchasers of the medal when issued, so it's likely that the current original owners are numbered in their hundreds.

Thanks, I have emailed them with the question.
I could try an airborne site as well if anyone wants to suggest a likely site where I wont get abused for not throwing myself out of a plane ;-)

Latest Threads