Help wanted with old photo please

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by heythrop, Jul 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is a photograph of four brothers with their mother, believed taken in late 1918 or early 1919.

Will somebody please tell me what is indicated by those four inverted chevrons on the lower right arm of the Royal Artillery sergeant.

Just the suggestion of a badge on the right arm of the Sapper who is seated. Does anybody recognise it please.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. I may be wrong but the inverted chevrons might be good conduct stripes?
    Wound stripes were generally on the soldiers left cuff.
    Hope this helps!

3. havnt seen them for donkeys deff good conducts.

4. i believe,but I could be wrong, that the inverted chevrons are Long Service chevrons. ie time Served.

5. Ahh beaten to it! guess i was wrong!!

6. They are service chevrons, one awarded for each year of active service in WW1. That indicating service in 1914 was red and subsequent others were blue.

7. Many thanks for the help. I wondered about stripes for years of service, but thought they were worn on the left arm, and taken down by the time of reaching rank of sergeant.

That lot is my father and his three brothers, with their mother.

8. Very interesting question, the Spams (the old Army and Marines I think) had a inverted slash chevron for each 5 year served? So old sweats wearing their "blues dress" had an arm of gold.

The Auzzies had something similar...

The badge will consist of an inverted single chevron of service braid to be worn on the left forearm - the point of the chevron to be 3 inches above the edge of the cuff.

So left not right ?

They are not wound stripes see here....

http://www.qohldrs.co.uk/html/lovat_scouts.htm

Must be some drop shorts with an answer out there :D

9. Inverted chevrons are definitely for service as stated above, red for 1914, blue for subsequent years. So by the looks of things your great uncle (?) joined in 1916. The arm badge on the seated blokey might be a tank. Though the cap badge looks wrong for Royal Tank Corps.

Edited to add; cap badge could be RTC, have a look at this-

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/badges-corps/rtc1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-armour/allied/ww1.htm&h=231&w=195&sz=9&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=mAzmpstzI86VFM:&tbnh=108&tbnw=91&prev=/images%3Fq%3DRoyal%2BTank%2BCorps%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

10. Brewmeister, that sounds a good suggestion of possibly that badge being a tank. The Royal Engineers were involved in many things, so why not tanks.

My uncle, the Royal Artillery Sergeant entered theatre of operations France 28 September 1915 according to his Medal Index Card, and I am obliged for the explanations of what those inverted chevrons mean.

My father is the Royal Marines bloke in the photo, the youngest of the four brothers, he joined the RMLI in September 1918.

11. Front right hand chap is not wearing a Sapper badge but after blowing it up in Photoeditor, I don't think it is Tank Corps either. Might be ASC going by the shape. I don't think the chap behind him is a Sapper either.

12. Service stripes are still used by the US Army on dress uniforms. Small horizontal stripes on the right lower sleeve, each six months spent in combat and diagonal stripes on the left each denoting three years of service.

13. The chap in the back row was definitely a Sapper at that time, I know his history well and towards the end of his long, long service we served in the same TA Infantry Battalion.

I took it the badge was the R.E. voided centre badge, 'King's Crown' GV of WW1.

14. My old man 1928 17th/21st Lancers. Dont worry about names i'm not left 14 years ago.

Attached Files:

15. Terrific old photo's of 17/21 Lancers. Thanks for posting them.

Anybody got any more old photo's. Be great to see them.

Edited to add: I have just seen the thread for family military photographs. Sorry. I posted my enquiry in the wrong slot. It's still great to see those old photo's though